Hi. Not knowing better I added this to my operating-system form: (groups (cons* (user-group (name "jas") (id "1000")) %base-groups)) Running 'guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm' worked fine, and upon boot I was placed in group 30001. Any idea what happened? A warning would have been nice. If there had been an example in the manual I wouldn't have made the mistake, so the attached patch improves this manual page: https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/en/html_node/User-Accounts.html#User-Accounts /Simon