all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix installer on foreign distro breaks /usr/local/share/info/dir
@ 2021-01-14  7:00 Garjola Dindi
From: Garjola Dindi @ 2021-01-14  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I recently installed the Guix package manager on Debian and found
symlinks on /usr/local/share/info/. One of them looks like this

ls -l /usr/local/share/info/dir
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 60 Jan 10 12:04 /usr/local/share/info/dir ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/share/info/dir

This breaks the info directory. Is this a bug? I didn't do anything
special during installation.

Thanks.

* Re: Guix installer on foreign distro breaks /usr/local/share/info/dir
@ 2021-01-14  8:07 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-01-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garjola Dindi, help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 08:00, Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> wrote:

> I recently installed the Guix package manager on Debian and found
> symlinks on /usr/local/share/info/. One of them looks like this
>
> ls -l /usr/local/share/info/dir
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 60 Jan 10 12:04 /usr/local/share/info/dir ->
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/share/info/dir
>
> This breaks the info directory. Is this a bug? I didn't do anything
> special during installation.

The culprit seems these lines in etc/guix-install.sh:

    for i in "${var_guix}"/share/info/*; do
        ln -sf "$i" "$info_path"
    done

You are expecting symlinks to all except this ’dir’ file, right?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Guix installer on foreign distro breaks /usr/local/share/info/dir
@ 2021-01-14  8:39   ` Garjola Dindi
From: Garjola Dindi @ 2021-01-14  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Thu 14-Jan-2021 at 09:07:47 +01, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 08:00, Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> wrote:
>
>> I recently installed the Guix package manager on Debian and found
>> symlinks on /usr/local/share/info/. One of them looks like this
>>
>> ls -l /usr/local/share/info/dir
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 60 Jan 10 12:04 /usr/local/share/info/dir ->
>> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/share/info/dir
>>
>> This breaks the info directory. Is this a bug? I didn't do anything
>> special during installation.
>
> The culprit seems these lines in etc/guix-install.sh:
>
>     for i in "${var_guix}"/share/info/*; do
>         ln -sf "$i" "$info_path"
>     done
>
> You are expecting symlinks to all except this ’dir’ file, right?

I would expect that the installer does not replace existing things in
/usr/local/.

This is the list of symlinks to
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/share/info that I get in
/usr/local/share/info/

,----
| dir.de
| dir.es
| dir.fr
| dir.ru
| dir.zh_CN
| gmp.info-1.gz
| gmp.info-2.gz
| gmp.info.gz
| gnutls-client-server-use-case.png
| gnutls-guile.info.gz
| gnutls-handshake-sequence.png
| gnutls-handshake-state.png
| gnutls.info-1.gz
| gnutls.info-2.gz
| gnutls.info-3.gz
| gnutls.info-4.gz
| gnutls.info-5.gz
| gnutls.info-6.gz
| gnutls.info-7.gz
| gnutls.info.gz
| gnutls-internals.png
| gnutls-layers.png
| gnutls-logo.png
| gnutls-modauth.png
| gnutls-x509.png
| guile-gcrypt.info.gz
| guile-git.info.gz
| guile-ssh.info.gz
| guix-cookbook.de.info.gz
| guix-cookbook.info.gz
| guix.de.info-1.gz
| guix.de.info-2.gz
| guix.de.info-3.gz
| guix.de.info-4.gz
| guix.de.info-5.gz
| guix.de.info-6.gz
| guix.de.info.gz
| guix.es.info-1.gz
| guix.es.info-2.gz
| guix.es.info-3.gz
| guix.es.info-4.gz
| guix.es.info-5.gz
| guix.es.info-6.gz
| guix.es.info.gz
| guix.fr.info-1.gz
| guix.fr.info-2.gz
| guix.fr.info-3.gz
| guix.fr.info-4.gz
| guix.fr.info-5.gz
| guix.fr.info-6.gz
| guix.fr.info.gz
| guix.info-1.gz
| guix.info-2.gz
| guix.info-3.gz
| guix.info-4.gz
| guix.info-5.gz
| guix.info.gz
| guix.ru.info-1.gz
| guix.ru.info-2.gz
| guix.ru.info-3.gz
| guix.ru.info-4.gz
| guix.ru.info-5.gz
| guix.ru.info-6.gz
| guix.ru.info.gz
| guix.zh_CN.info-1.gz
| guix.zh_CN.info-2.gz
| guix.zh_CN.info-3.gz
| guix.zh_CN.info-4.gz
| guix.zh_CN.info-5.gz
| guix.zh_CN.info.gz
| images
| libidn2.info.gz
| libtasn1.info.gz
| pkcs11-vision.png
`----

While the guix* seem reasonable, things like =images= or =dir.*= may
cause trouble for foreign distros where people may want to install
things on /usr/local.

At least, this is my uninformed opinion, since I am just discovering
Guix.

Thanks!