all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using magit (and maybe mu4e) for sending patches to Guix?
@ 2024-06-10 17:04 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2024-06-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Guix,

There was a discussion 4 or so years ago on this topic (see <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-11/msg00099.html> ), but I was wondering if anyone might have additional advice at this point. (I've got a pending patch series I want to get properly submitted.)

I send occasional patches to Guix, and I often forget and so mess up the process in some way [<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Sending-a-Patch-Series.html>]. I'm used to doing things in Emacs with Magit and so was wondering if anyone had a good Magit workflow (possibly though not necessarily involving the email bit using mu4e).

best,
 —Benjamin
 --
 '(Dr Benjamin Slade (he/him)
     (website . <https://lambda-y.net>)

[mu4e] <https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html>

[Emacs] <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>

[org-msg] <https://github.com/jeremy-compostella/org-msg>

[CachyOS] <https://cachyos.org>

[Linux] <https://opensource.com/resources/linux>

* Re: using magit (and maybe mu4e) for sending patches to Guix?
@ 2024-06-12 21:55 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-06-12 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Slade, help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Benjamin,

On Mon, Jun 10 2024, Benjamin Slade wrote:

> so was wondering if anyone had a good Magit workflow

I use the 'W' (that's a capital W) command in Magit and then 'c' for
"create" with all the bells and whistles, ie.

    - "C-m b" for base commit;
    - "C-m v" for reroll count;

and for sets involving more than one patch

    - "C-m l" for cover letter; and
    - "C-m o" for output directory.

Then I use 'git send-mail' but I have yet to check out the growing array
of features in our 'mumi' command-line tool.  It may be helpful with
sending mails now, too.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: using magit (and maybe mu4e) for sending patches to Guix?
@ 2024-06-28 15:53 ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2024-06-28 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Benjamin Slade wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> There was a discussion 4 or so years ago on this topic (see
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-11/msg00099.html>
> ), but I was wondering if anyone might have additional advice at this
> point. (I've got a pending patch series I want to get properly
> submitted.)
>
> I send occasional patches to Guix, and I often forget and so mess up
> the process in some way
> [<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Sending-a-Patch-Series.html>].
> I'm used to doing things in Emacs with Magit and so was wondering if
> anyone had a good Magit workflow (possibly though not necessarily
> involving the email bit using mu4e).

I used to use something like this (IIRC):

M-&
git send-email --sendmail-cmd=echo HEAD^..HEAD
RET

Then on the first prompt, move to the '/tmp/..' on top and use C-x C-f
M-n RET to open it. Then C-d on the prompt so that I also get the rest
of the headers, to copy into the compose buffer.