all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dovecot + pigeonhole packaging
@ 2019-08-28 17:11 Alexey Abramov
From: Alexey Abramov @ 2019-08-28 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix,

My system requires me to have dovecot and pigeonhole. So I packaged it. I
created two none public packages and merged them into one big package.

But wouldn't it be better to do it the same way as debian does?Every
component lives in a separate package, and if I need some library I don't
have to install the giant package.

The problem I encountered is that dovecot has mail_plugin_dir property
which does not accept multiple folders. It means I have to put and install
new plugins in the very same directory with existing plugins. rpath is not
an option here. Even if a library knows where to load its dependencies,
dovecot doesn't aware of it.

Is there a way to have shared store folder? Debian overrides  rpath to all
dovecot extensions and set it to /usr/dovecot/lib.

Or maybe create a dummy package and use it as a storage for the libraries?
What is the right approach here?

I also checked how nixos does it, and I don't like this approach, they
patch source code and install their libs in /etc

--
Alexey