Hi Mark! > Yesterday, an obscure package called "t" was added to Guix. We should > reject such short package names in Guix unless there's a very compelling > reason to keep them. > > The problem with single-letter package names is that the probability of > collisions is far too high. Due to the so-called "birthday paradox", it > only takes 5 such package names before the probability of a collision > gets close to 50%. Given this, it's an act of extraordinary hubris to > claim a single-letter name for one's package. > > We've already had at least one collision involving 2-letter names. It > takes 26 such names before the probability of collision reaches ~50%. A > few years ago, someone wrote a tool based on Guile for "programmatic > computer-aided design" and called it "Ao". It turns out that name is > already taken by a cross platform audio library which is in Guix. > > We have precedent for renaming single-letter package names in Guix. We > have already changed "s" to "s-shell", and "v" to "vlang". Let's choose > a longer name for "t". Here's the package definition: Makes complete sense. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :-) > Any suggestions for a longer name? Maybe "t-organizer" or > "t-todo-list-manager"? How about t-cli? @Jorge WDYT? Regards, RG.