Hi Ludo, I tried your patch by creating a variant of the guix package. My first attempt was a failure because it's still using almost all my memory and I forgot to enable my swap. In the second attempt, the build phase succeeded, but the build failed during the test phase (test/inferior). I've started a new build hoping it's a non-deterministic failure. Le 16 juin 2021 16:01:20 GMT-04:00, "Ludovic Courtès" a écrit : >Hi, > >Julien Lepiller skribis: > >> I tried updating my system on my armhf board (2GB of RAM), but during >> "guix system reconfigure", guix tries to build itself (the guix >package >> from (gnu packages package-management)). This package uses too much >> memory to build, and I start getting GC warnings like so: >> >> GC Warning: Out of memory - trying to allocate requested amount (552 >> bytes)... >> GC Warning: Header allocation failed: dropping block >> GC Warning: Out of Memory! Heap size: 2571 MiB. Returning NULL! >> Warning: Unwind-only out of memory exception; skipping pre-unwind >> handler. >> >> after some more progress and a lot more warnings, the build stops >(CPU >> is at 2%), but the memory is not freed. The build stayed stuck for a >> long time until I decided to cancel it. > >This is ridiculous. :-/ > >> Can we instead break the build (at the Makefile level) into multiple >> smaller chunks, that require less memory, in the same way (guix self) >> works? > >Yes, that’s a good idea. > >Could you check the extent to which the attached patch helps on this >machine? > >It doesn’t split as much as (guix self) does, only in three pieces, but >hopefully that helps a bit. A side effect is that progress report is >now off, but we can fix it later. > >Thanks, >Ludo’.