all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Failed attempts to install GNU Guix in a laptop
@ 2021-11-29  2:31 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2021-11-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Table of Contents
_________________

1. Introduction
2. Attempts
.. 1. First attempt
.. 2. Second attempt
3. Additional information
4. External links

1 Introduction
==============

  I've tried to perform the system installation [1] twice in a laptop
  with no avail.

  I'm using the ISO whose URL is [3] and is mentioned in [2] and whose
  SHA512 is [12].

  Any help to solve this issue is appreciated.

2 Attempts
==========

2.1 First attempt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  In this attempt, I used the terminal based graphical interface. The
  final result was that when booting, my laptop showed the GRUB shell.

  This was probably caused because I had Ubuntu installed and I didn't
  format the EFI partition (i.e. I didn't change the default option "No"
  of "Format the partition?" [4]). In this attempt, I used this
  partition configuration [5].

  The congratulations screen [8] was shown and these messages [9] were
  shown for a short time before the laptop started the reboot after the
  installation.

2.2 Second attempt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  In this attempt, I used the terminal based graphical interface and the
  same partition configuration [5]. The final result was that when
  booting, my laptop showed "Operating System Not Found" [7].

  This time I answered "Yes" to "Format the partition?" [6] in the EFI
  partition at the partition configuration step.

  The congratulations screen [8] was shown and these messages [10] were
  shown for a short time before the laptop started the reboot after the
  installation.

3 Additional information
========================

  The following is the configuration of my BIOS [11]. As you can see,
  the "Boot Mode" is set to "UEFI".

4 External links
================

  [1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/System-Installation.html
  [2]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/USB-Stick-and-DVD-Installation.html
  [3]
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.3.0.x86_64-linux.iso
  [4]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Partition_configuration_in_GNU_Guix_installer.jpg
  [5]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Answer_no_to_format_EFI_partition_in_GNU_Guix.jpg
  [6]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yes_to_format_EFI_partition_in_GNU_Guix_installer.jpg
  [7] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Operating_System_Not_Found.jpg
  [8]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Congratulations_screen_shown_by_GNU_Guix_wizard_installer.jpg
  [9]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Messages_shown_after_succesful_installation_in_GNU_Guix.jpg
  [10]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Messages_shown_after_succesful_installation_in_GNU_Guix_2.jpg
  [11] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BIOS_in_laptop.jpg
  [12]
6b867323d45638d38a1355d9ad249d680df3b3aef216c0cd5a0b67c1dc445efec33ba3392801fab0c89b008af27de2fb1a16b36e6e94859afd353bfd1fd49188

* Re: Failed attempts to install GNU Guix in a laptop
@ 2021-12-03 20:59 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-12-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Morales, help-guix

November 29, 2021 12:33 AM, "Rodrigo Morales" <moralesrodrigo1100@gmail.com> wrote:

> Table of Contents
> _________________
>
> 1. Introduction
> 2. Attempts
> .. 1. First attempt
> .. 2. Second attempt
> 3. Additional information
> 4. External links
>
> 1 Introduction
>
> I've tried to perform the system installation [1] twice in a laptop
> with no avail.

What kind of laptop are you trying to install Guix System on?

You could try to use the manual install as described in the manual.
I occasionally have to use that instead of the graphical install.