all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HP Printer setup with Cups & hplip
@ 2024-10-23 11:13 Divya Ranjan via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Divya Ranjan via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-10-23 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I’m trying to get my HP LaserJet P1108 to work with Guix. It previously worked well with hplip and some some plugin I believe. Currently there’s several issues, when I do `lsusb' I get P1102, not P1108. I don’t know how that is happening. Next, when I print something by selecting the printer, mind you, when selecting the printer from system printing dialog, I see P1108. After selecting and clicking print, I see my printer’s LED blink once and then nothing happens. The desired thing is that the LED keeps blinking and then the printer takes the paper in.

In my operating system’s services list, I have this s-expression:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(service cups-service-type
		    (cups-configuration
		     (web-interface? #t)
		     (extensions
		      (list cups-filters hplip-minimal))))
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

and I have hplip and hplip-minimal as packages in the system profile. Cups works as expected, when I go to localhost:631 I see my printer and the jobs that have been queued. I’ve tried the hp-setup to setup the printer again, nothing changes. I’ve tried other hp scripts like hp-check, hp-doctor, hp-diagnose_plugin etc. they don’t work either.

Regards,
--
Divya Ranjan,
Philosophy, Mathematics, Libre Software.

* Re: HP Printer setup with Cups & hplip
@ 2024-10-23 14:08 ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-10-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Divya Ranjan via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
  Cc: Divya Ranjan

Hi Divya,

On Wed, Oct 23 2024, Divya Ranjan via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." wrote:

> I’ve tried the hp-setup to setup the printer again, nothing
> changes. I’ve tried other hp scripts like hp-check, hp-doctor,
> hp-diagnose_plugin etc. they don’t work either.

I've never had much luck with hplip.  Can you install the PPD for your
printer [1] manually into CUPS and use it directly?

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://sources.debian.org/src/hplip/3.16.11%2Brepack0-3/ppd/hpcups/hp-laserjet_professional_p1108.ppd/

* Re: HP Printer setup with Cups & hplip
@ 2024-10-23 16:29 ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2024-10-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Divya Ranjan; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 at 4:13 AM, Divya Ranjan via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to get my HP LaserJet P1108 to work with Guix. It previously worked well with hplip and some some plugin I believe. Currently there’s several issues, when I do `lsusb' I get P1102, not P1108. I don’t know how that is happening. Next, when I print something by selecting the printer, mind you, when selecting the printer from system printing dialog, I see P1108. After selecting and clicking print, I see my printer’s LED blink once and then nothing happens. The desired thing is that the LED keeps blinking and then the printer takes the paper in.
>
> In my operating system’s services list, I have this s-expression:
>
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
> (service cups-service-type
> (cups-configuration
> (web-interface? #t)
> (extensions
> (list cups-filters hplip-minimal))))
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> and I have hplip and hplip-minimal as packages in the system profile. Cups works as expected, when I go to localhost:631 I see my printer and the jobs that have been queued. I’ve tried the hp-setup to setup the printer again, nothing changes. I’ve tried other hp scripts like hp-check, hp-doctor, hp-diagnose_plugin etc. they don’t work either.

I've not really used the hp-* scripts, but I have gotten an HP network printer working with my systems using the following service config:

(service cups-service-type
         (cups-configuration
          (web-interface? #t)
          (extensions
           (list cups-filters foomatic-filters hplip))))

I'm not sure of foomatic-filters is necessary, but I also didn't do any fine-tuning once I got my printer working through CUPS because of how finicky they are to set up. HTH!

Cheers,
Kaelyn

@ 2024-10-23 17:24 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2024-10-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Divya Ranjan, guix-devel

Hi,

On 23 October 2024 11:13:36 UTC, "Divya Ranjan via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> Currently there’s several issues, when I do `lsusb' I get P1102, not P1108. I don’t know how that is happening.

Devices and/or databases sometimes lie^Wcontain errors.  Have you seen ‘P1108’ on other GNU/Linux distributions?  Could be harmless.

As for printing: it's… unclear whether your printer supports Guix?  I think it should: here's a report¹ of people using your printer on Debian using only CUPS+HPLIP.

Still, HP claims² ‘Yes’ to requiring additional proprietary software (their ‘plugin’) to even print at all.

At least, as I read the footnote, if printing were possible, it would be ‘Optional’.  That plugin is not part of HPLIP and not available in Guix, nor are we going to support it.

Does your /var/log/cups/error_log mention anything interesting?  In particular, does it mention a plugin?  You can attach a compressed copy if you like.

What is the status of your printer in the CUPS Web interface?

Have you tried removing + adding the printer using said Web interface, avoiding the HP GUIs entirely?  I've never needed to use them myself.  These Python scripts are lightly tested & maintained on Guix—if at all.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[1]: https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=158614
[2]: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.