all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd Video
       [not found] ` <8734pxp5nj.fsf@web.de>
@ 2024-06-01 21:22   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2024-06-01 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
  Cc: Nathan Dehnel, bug-hurd, matt, liberamenso10000, bugaevc,
	guix-devel

Hey bug hurd!

So we had an awesome time today watching Sergey code a trivial translator (1) and do
some glibc hacking (2).  Sergey coded and chatted for 4 and 1/2 hours!  Three cheers
for that kind of commitment!  Thanks pal!

In the livestream today, Sergey wrote caesar.c, which implements a simple caeser
cipher. It's a toy. A caesar cipher is EASY to break, but it was fun watching
him code it out!

Here is the preliminary video.  The audio is pretty bad.  Apologies for that.

https://video.hardlimit.com/w/aQK46FjVeZ2efMSw1wEtoV

I can improve my video's audio a little bit, but probably not much...

Did someone else record video?  Please share it with me.  Maybe your recording
is much better than mine!

Perhaps in the future we can try to use mumble ?  Apparently that's used in
games a lot for better quality sound.  I could set up such a server.  What other
options do we have for meeting virtually with free software?

dino perhaps, but this blog post says it's not really great for many calls:
https://dino.im/blog/2022/02/dino-0.3-release/

https://jami.net/  I've never tried it.

Big blue button

Any other options that I am missing?

Thanks for attending those that did, and thanks again for Sergey.  I can't
believe you straight up coded for 4 and 1/2 hours straight!

1) https://paste.debian.net/1318833/

2) Sergey ported the Hurd to AArch64!  He is able to run the Hurd on AArch64 in
qemu on a GNU/Linux host!  https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2024-q1.html

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd Video
@ 2024-06-01 21:29     ` Almudena Garcia
From: Almudena Garcia @ 2024-06-01 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson
  Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Nathan Dehnel, bug-hurd, matt, bugaevc,
	guix-devel

Hi:

I've just sent my recording in other mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7bWzsL7Ps

By some reason, the image keeps freezed in some minutes, but most the
recording is fine

@ 2024-06-02 16:50     ` Sergey Bugaev
From: Sergey Bugaev @ 2024-06-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson
  Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Nathan Dehnel, bug-hurd, matt,
	liberamenso10000, guix-devel

On Sun, Jun 2, 2024 at 12:22 AM Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
> So we had an awesome time today watching Sergey code a trivial translator (1) and do
> some glibc hacking (2).  Sergey coded and chatted for 4 and 1/2 hours!  Three cheers
> for that kind of commitment!  Thanks pal!
>
> In the livestream today, Sergey wrote caesar.c, which implements a simple caeser
> cipher. It's a toy. A caesar cipher is EASY to break, but it was fun watching
> him code it out!

Hi all,

thanks for attending, and thanks Joshua for organizing it!

Let's do this again sometime? -- hopefully with less technical issues
related to recording/audio/video. I've got plenty of exciting ideas of
things to do. There are projects I started but haven't completed, like
the new bootstrap process (that Josh keeps calling "serverboot v2") or
the new in-tree, Hurd-native libfuse (which is an full translator
framework in its own right, a peer to libdiskfs/libnetfs/libtrivfs,
but mostly API-compatible with the Linux libfuse), or epoll/Wayland
(which is mostly complete, but it needs to be updated / cleaned up,
and published). Or, we could get started on writing that shiny new
translator framework in Rust :)

We ended the stream on a somewhat of a cliffhanger: can we run
caesarfs (see, Joshua misspelled it too, so it's not just me!) on the
aarch64-gnu system? The process was getting created, but then it
crashed before it got a chance to handshake with its parent translator
(root ext2fs), and thus fake-console-run.c was getting EDIED trying to
open the file. Turns out, we need to explicitly null-terminate the
last argv entry too when setting a static translator record from my
GNU/Linux host, so instead of
$ sudo setfattr -n gnu.translator -v
'/hurd/caesar\000/libexec/hello-world.txt'
/mnt/libexec/hello-world.txt.csr
I should have done
$ sudo setfattr -n gnu.translator -v
'/hurd/caesar\000/libexec/hello-world.txt\000'
/mnt/libexec/hello-world.txt.csr

It was crashing inside ld-arrach64.so.1 trying to parse its argv,
since it expected them to be in the argz format, so null-terminated.
(Did I mention how incredibly useful being able to backtrace through
syscall/fault/interrupt boundaries is for debugging?)

With that fixed (no changes to the translator itself, but the
translator record changed as shown above), I do get:

GNU Mach 1.8
Kernel command line: foo=bar
Booting in EL1
vm_page: page table size: 262144 entries (20480k)
vm_page: DMA: pages: 262144 (1024M), free: 221873 (866M)
vm_page: DMA: min:13107 low:15728 high:26214
Model name: linux dummy-virt
module 0: rootfs $(rootfs-device=ramdisk-create)
rd0: 36700160 bytes @ffff000083424000
module 1: ld-aarch64.so.1 /hurd/exec $(exec-task=task-create)
module 2: ext2fs --host-priv-port=${host-port}
--device-master-port=${device-port} --exec-server-task=${exec-task}
--multiboot-command-line=${kernel-command-line} -T device
${rootfs-device} $(task-create) $(task-resume)
3 bootstrap modules
task loaded: ld-aarch64.so.1 /hurd/exec
task loaded: ext2fs --host-priv-port=1 --device-master-port=2
--exec-server-task=3 --multiboot-command-line=foo=bar -T device rd0

start ext2fs: Hello world!
fread () -> 5
Uryyb

"Uryyb" is of course "Hello" with ROT13 applied :) So we were very close.

Sergey

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd Video
@ 2024-06-02 20:14       ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-06-02 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Almudena Garcia
  Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Nathan Dehnel, bug-hurd, matt, bugaevc,
	guix-devel

June 1, 2024 at 5:29 PM, "Almudena Garcia" <liberamenso10000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've just sent my recording in other mail
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7bWzsL7Ps
>
> By some reason, the image keeps freezed in some minutes, but most the recording is fine

Your recording seems to be much better than mine!  Thanks for recording!

@ 2024-06-02 20:36       ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-06-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Bugaev
  Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Nathan Dehnel, bug-hurd, matt,
	liberamenso10000, guix-devel, Samuel Thibault

https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/open_issues/serverbootv2/

> the new in-tree, Hurd-native libfuse (which is an full translator
>
> framework in its own right, a peer to libdiskfs/libnetfs/libtrivfs,
>
> but mostly API-compatible with the Linux libfuse), or epoll/Wayland
>
> (which is mostly complete, but it needs to be updated / cleaned up,
>
> and published). Or, we could get started on writing that shiny new
>
> translator framework in Rust :)

I'm game to watch you code any of those projects!  2pm UTC works really
well for me.  Shall we have another live hacking session on another Saturday
at 2pm UTC in about two months? Sooner?  Later?

> We ended the stream on a somewhat of a cliffhanger: can we run
>
> caesarfs (see, Joshua misspelled it too, so it's not just me!) on the
>
> aarch64-gnu system? The process was getting created, but then it
>
> crashed before it got a chance to handshake with its parent translator
>
> (root ext2fs), and thus fake-console-run.c was getting EDIED trying to
>
> open the file. Turns out, we need to explicitly null-terminate the
>
> last argv entry too when setting a static translator record from my
>
> GNU/Linux host, so instead of
>
> $ sudo setfattr -n gnu.translator -v
>
> '/hurd/caesar\000/libexec/hello-world.txt'
>
> /mnt/libexec/hello-world.txt.csr
>
> I should have done
>
> $ sudo setfattr -n gnu.translator -v
>
> '/hurd/caesar\000/libexec/hello-world.txt\000'
>
> /mnt/libexec/hello-world.txt.csr
>
> It was crashing inside ld-arrach64.so.1 trying to parse its argv,
>
> since it expected them to be in the argz format, so null-terminated.
>
> (Did I mention how incredibly useful being able to backtrace through
>
> syscall/fault/interrupt boundaries is for debugging?)
>
> With that fixed (no changes to the translator itself, but the
>
> translator record changed as shown above), I do get:
>
> GNU Mach 1.8
>
> Kernel command line: foo=bar
>
> Booting in EL1
>
> vm_page: page table size: 262144 entries (20480k)
>
> vm_page: DMA: pages: 262144 (1024M), free: 221873 (866M)
>
> vm_page: DMA: min:13107 low:15728 high:26214
>
> Model name: linux dummy-virt
>
> module 0: rootfs $(rootfs-device=ramdisk-create)
>
> rd0: 36700160 bytes @ffff000083424000
>
> module 1: ld-aarch64.so.1 /hurd/exec $(exec-task=task-create)
>
> module 2: ext2fs --host-priv-port=${host-port}
>
> --device-master-port=${device-port} --exec-server-task=${exec-task}
>
> --multiboot-command-line=${kernel-command-line} -T device
>
> ${rootfs-device} $(task-create) $(task-resume)
>
> 3 bootstrap modules
>
> task loaded: ld-aarch64.so.1 /hurd/exec
>
> task loaded: ext2fs --host-priv-port=1 --device-master-port=2
>
> --exec-server-task=3 --multiboot-command-line=foo=bar -T device rd0
>
> start ext2fs: Hello world!
>
> fread () -> 5
>
> Uryyb
>
> "Uryyb" is of course "Hello" with ROT13 applied :) So we were very close.
>
> Sergey

Do we want to commit caesarfs the Hurd?  It is fairly simple and maybe not
really useful...but maybe yes just 'cause ?  Maybe that should be left
as an exercise to me or someone else ?  Anyone else need some extra
homework?

Joshua