Hi Ricardo, Am 09.08.19 um 10:54 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus: > Whenever an input is changed the package will be rebuilt, because we > can’t know if the presence of a package will affect the build or not. > > In the case of patching references the presence of the input *will* > affect the output (as a reference to the absolute file name will be > recorded). In the case of propagated inputs it’s really the same, > expect that the package will also be installed into the target profile. My concerns are not about building, but about installing. A concrete example: * Ansible is a Python program running ssh via a path to /gnu/store/…-openssh-8.0p1/bin/ssh * Mary installs ansible. * Now openssh shows a serious bug and Mary updates openssh using "guix -u openssh" Obviously this will *not* update ansible, and ansible will still use the old, vulnerable version of openssh. OTOH, if ansible would run ssh via $PATH, ansible would pick up the new version of openssh. FWIW: some way to install openssh automatically along with ansible, while not specifying a specific version of openssh to be used, thus if openssh is updated (but ansible is not), ansible will pick up the new version. -- Regards Hartmut Goebel | Hartmut Goebel | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com | | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |