ng0, ng0 wrote on 10/01/18 at 15:55: > What if someone under account root install 'whois' into their > profile. [together with expect, source of The Other Mkpasswd.] > Wouldn't they have 2 mkpasswd now in their path of exectuables and > encounter a collision? Presumably. > Should we rename it for the sake of namespace collisions reduction? I don't think this case warrants manual intervention. Whois' mkpasswd encrypt()s a given passwd and prints the result. Expect's generates a random string that satisfies some criteria. Neither are what I'd call day-to-day system administration tools. I'd rather give users deterministic control over any collision, but now who's bikeshedding (with no intention to write the code)... :-) Kind regards, T G-R