On Fri, 2021-04-23 at 13:52 -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote: > Actually, there *is* a "new" stable release available on their > release > page, 1.17.2 [0] > > According to NVD [1], that latest version has no known CVE [1]. > > Léo, could it be that you had planned to do this update, but it > somehow > fell into the cracks? In any case I agree with the others that it'd > have been better to ungraft/remove patches in the same commit that > updates the software to a version that incorporates the fixes, as I'm > sure you already know: it'd have prevented this kind of situation. Considering the GNOME upgrade is not finished yet, this is indeed ongoing work. I would've never done this on master. > > I also urge you to remain calm and collaborative even in the face of > criticism; as Ricardo said, escalating things will lead us nowhere > good. > Honest mistakes are made and that's no problem so long as we stand > ready > to apologize for them and work together for a resolution. > I think there is no problem in accepting criticism but there is a certain way Mark presents criticism and I don't feel like I can respond to it when it is written in such way. Over several emails Mark was looking to point to people who were somehow responsible for whatever "damage" for changes that happened on a branch nobody uses and always contains ongoing work (core-updates), so maintaining it security-wise is not as much of a question. The result is that we have a long thread of people responding etc. causing a fuss over something that just needs to be fixed rather than find whoever is somehow "responsible". I feel like we're collectively responsible. We try our best at all times, during this GNOME upgrade I also tried to take into account Raghav's feelings so they do not give up and have a rewarding review experience, I knew these commits werent great, I have written about it here: < https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42958#67>. > I see that 宋文武 has pushed a commit > (2ab4f4c950ffa7ca40271a534cb3bed997672138) to core-updates > reinstating > the security patches; thanks! > Great! Thanks for figuring this out. > Thank you, > > Maxim > > [0] https://www.cairographics.org/releases/ > [1] > https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/results?form_type=Advanced&results_type=overview&seach_type=all&query=cpe:2.3:a:cairographics:cairo:-:*:*:*:*:*:*:* Léo