all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
@ 2021-07-23 15:47 jbranso--- via
From: jbranso--- via @ 2021-07-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-hurd, Eco-Conscious Computing, help-guix

Hey guix, EOMA68, and bug-hurd!

I'm getting really tired of carrying my Android phone around with google's spyware,
so I thought that I would try to make myself a DIY dumb or smart phone...

What gets me excited is to see simple guides like this that show you how to make
your own smartphone that supports SMS and traditional calling using purism's gnome
shell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjX7nS3kIao (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjX7nS3kIao)
 (apologies for the youtube link...)

The minor problem with the above link is that it uses a rasberry pi, which uses some
firemware blobs...

Anyway, I would love to make my own guix phone, and unfortunately it needs to support
SMS and traditional calls, so there might be some binary blobs for the modem.

Anyway, how hard would it be to create such a phone that is EOMA68 compliant? Is that
possible? Could I somehow fit a beagle bone board into the EOMA68 case and wire it up?
What is the status on the EOMA68 phone? I know you guys have a laptop housing. Does
there exist a design for a phone housing?

I would also love too eventually love to run a phone on the Hurd. But currently the Hurd is
limited to x86. I could use guix to run a hurd vm...then perhaps I could use Emacs
inside the hurd vm to get text messages via jabber.el. The Hurd has a working
prototype of sound support right? What command do you run to get sound on the
Hurd?

Here is a list of open-ish computers that I've found. Can anyone add to this list?

 https://wiki.parabola.nu/Computers

Thanks,

Joshua

P.S. I have no sod-ering experience, and I would prefer to try to do a DIY phone so that
I learn more about hardware! Thanks for any advice that you can give!

* Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
@ 2021-07-24 13:13 ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-07-24 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: Eco-Conscious Computing, help-guix

jbranso--- via writes:

> I'm getting really tired of carrying my Android phone around with google's spyware,

This issue is larger than just Android / iOS and the applications a user
deliberately uses.  There is also the issue of unwanted spyware.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pegasus_(investigation)>

You could eliminating the issues mobile phones have entirely by choosing
to not use a mobile phone.

<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Going_NoPhone>

>  (apologies for the youtube link...)

You could share Invidious links as well as YouTube links.  The YouTube
links could be a backup in case the Invidious server linked to goes
down.

<https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md>

> and unfortunately it needs to support SMS and traditional calls, so there might be some binary blobs for the modem.

You can do SMS using email.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway#Email_clients>

Maybe you could convince the people you want to talk to use free
software like Jami.  For people who are physically nearby walkie talkies
are an option.

<https://jami.net/>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie>

* Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
@ 2021-07-24 15:27   ` Vagrant Cascadian
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2021-07-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon, jbranso; +Cc: help-guix

On 2021-07-24, Bone Baboon wrote:
> jbranso--- via writes:

>> and unfortunately it needs to support SMS and traditional calls, so there might be some binary blobs for the modem.

I've been using for SMS and voice calls:

  https://jmp.chat

It runs on all free software and provides a pretty rich SMS experience
using an XMPP client, and you can use a SIP (or maybe even XMPP) client
for voice calls.

live well,
  vagrant

* Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
@ 2021-07-24 16:56   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-07-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: Eco-Conscious Computing, help-guix

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

> jbranso--- via writes:
>
>> I'm getting really tired of carrying my Android phone around with google's spyware,
>
> This issue is larger than just Android / iOS and the applications a user
> deliberately uses.  There is also the issue of unwanted spyware.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pegasus_(investigation)>
>
> You could eliminating the issues mobile phones have entirely by choosing
> to not use a mobile phone.
>
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Going_NoPhone>

I used to do that!  I was nophone for a while, but then I became a
manager at work.  If someone does not show up for work, then they call
me.  I could give up my manager position or find a job that doesn't
require a way to reach me 24/7.

OR I could get a ham radio license...operate a radio tower somewhere
(for real cheap...though that might not be so cheap)...then if work
needs me, they can chat to me via that way...and my libre phone could
pick up the signal...though that might mean I'd have to learn some GNU
Radio, which would be fun!  This strategy is what JMP.chat wants to do
eventually.

>>  (apologies for the youtube link...)
>
> You could share Invidious links as well as YouTube links.  The YouTube
> links could be a backup in case the Invidious server linked to goes
> down.
>
> <https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md>
>
>> and unfortunately it needs to support SMS and traditional calls, so there might be some binary blobs for the modem.
>
> You can do SMS using email.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway#Email_clients>

Now that is awesome!  I will look into that.

> Maybe you could convince the people you want to talk to use free
> software like Jami.  For people who are physically nearby walkie talkies
> are an option.

I'm actually really excited about Jami!  It looks really promising!

Jami only works using wifi, as far as I know.  Sometimes I would like to
go to the park, which has no wifi.  Since work has to be able to reach
me 24/7 this won't quite work...again, I could give up my manager
position or get a different job.

> <https://jami.net/>
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie>

Cheap ones only work 1-1.5 miles.  Sometimes I'm 30 miles away from
work.  But this is something to consider.  There are some expensive
walkie talkies that the military uses that work anywhere in the world.

--
Joshua Branson (jab in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
@ 2021-07-24 17:01     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-07-24 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: Bone Baboon, help-guix

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2021-07-24, Bone Baboon wrote:
>> jbranso--- via writes:
>
>>> and unfortunately it needs to support SMS and traditional calls, so there might be some binary blobs for the modem.
>
> I've been using for SMS and voice calls:
>
>   https://jmp.chat
>
> It runs on all free software and provides a pretty rich SMS experience
> using an XMPP client, and you can use a SIP (or maybe even XMPP) client
> for voice calls.

I use JMP.chat too...exclusively.  :)  BUT jmp.chat only works when you
have wifi.  And sometimes I would like to be at the downtown park, which
doesn't have wifi...if work called me then, I would not be available.
Since I get called if someone doesn't show up for a shift...that won't
quite work for me.

However, when SpaceX gets their satellite internet going...that may be
an option for me.

--

@ 2021-07-24 17:45   ` Jonathan McHugh
From: Jonathan McHugh @ 2021-07-24 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson, Bone Baboon; +Cc: Eco-Conscious Computing, help-guix

Out of curiosity, how regulated is ham radio in the USA? I lament that your cultural emphasis on freedom of expression didnt extend into freedoms for 'classic' radio channels. Is it better for ham radio?

From Europe it appears as if ICT infrastructure in the USA looks godawful (like AT&T), has there been much pushback with grounds up mesh networks?

====================
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-25  0:11   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-07-25  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan McHugh, Bone Baboon; +Cc: Eco-Conscious Computing, help-guix

July 24, 2021 1:45 PM, "Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how regulated is ham radio in the USA? I lament that your cultural emphasis on
> freedom of expression didnt extend into freedoms for 'classic' radio channels. Is it better for ham
> radio?

I've no idea.  I do not have my ham license, but my buddy told me that technically I am NOT supposed
to use ham radio for boss/employee communications....I've got some relatives that live out
in the country...I can do testing there.  "FCC won't let me be me..." in the city.  In the country,
it's you and three cows for three miles.

> From Europe it appears as if ICT infrastructure in the USA looks godawful (like AT&T), has there
> been much pushback with grounds up mesh networks?

I am also really not familiar.  I know that the https://jmp.chat project hopes to use local radios
to allow encrypted calls for up to 40+ miles in poor countries.  They would probably have more
information that I do.  The main developer is easy to get ahold of in his XMPP support chat room.