all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mystery of missing 'install' phase in guile-build-system
@ 2024-09-26 21:13 Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-09-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

A piece of software of mine using the guile-build-system runs tests
after the 'install' phase.  A recent system update failed because there
is no such phase.

Looking at the Guix source code, the 'install' phase never existed.
Shouldn't every build system have that phase?

Why did the same package definition work three months ago?

Thanks for helping with this mystery!

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Mystery of missing 'install' phase in guile-build-system
@ 2024-09-26 21:26 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-09-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, guix-devel

Hi,

On 2024-09-26 23:13, Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the
GNU System distribution. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A piece of software of mine using the guile-build-system runs tests
> after the 'install' phase.  A recent system update failed because there
> is no such phase.
>
> Looking at the Guix source code, the 'install' phase never existed.
> Shouldn't every build system have that phase?
>
> Why did the same package definition work three months ago?
>
> Thanks for helping with this mystery!
>
> Kind regards
> Felix

The fast and simple answer is that the 'install phase is not mandatory.
The build system defines which of the steps it uses and how, they don't
need to have specific names.

A different question is how does the Guile build system find which files
to install and where to install them. :)

It's a little bit late so I can't check it deeper but you should find
how it is done in: guix/build/guile-build-system.scm

Good question btw!
Cheers,
Ekaitz

* Re: Mystery of missing 'install' phase in guile-build-system
@ 2024-09-27 16:00   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2024-09-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga, Felix Lechner, guix-devel