Hello all, I never used Guix SD, only Guix on a foreign distro. I want to install a system on an external SSD so that I can boot my PC in case my default boot disk would have problems (I have my data on other disks in this PC) and I decided to try with Guix SD. With the guided installation in graphic mode, when I get to the point where I say to install Guix on a whole disk and I have selected it, the installer goes back to the first step, asking whether I want to install Guix SD with the graphic installer or shell commands, so the graphic install seems not to work. Then I decided to try the installation with shell commands. My desktop is a D8 with a blobless coreboot + seabios. On my external SSD connected via USB and recognized as /dev/sdf (I have 6 internal disks, /dev/sda is the boot disk, then I have /dev/sdb to /dev/sde and /dev/sdg, not sure why the external SSD got put in the middle): I created the following partitions and fs (DOS partition table): /dev/sdf1: 1G formatted as ext4, for /boot, marked as bootable /dev/sdf2: extended partition /dev/sdf5: 922G formatted as btrfs, for / /dev/sdf6: 8G, for swap I have put labels on /dev/sdf1 and /dev/sdf5, I mounted /dev/sdf5 at /mnt, created /mnt/boot and mounted /dev/sdf1 at /mnt/boot, did swapon for /dev/sdf6. Then I launched herd, copied config.scm, edited it, and launched guix system init, using the commands advised in the manual. After a while (lots of things were worked on), I have: ---quote start--- guix system: error: '/gnu/store/xxx-grub-2.04/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy target=i386-pc --bot-directory /mnt/boot /dev/sdf1' exited with status 1; output follows: Installing of i386-pc platform. /gnu/store/xxx-grub-2.04/sbin/grub-install: warning: File system 'ext2' doesn't support embedding. /gnu/store/xxx-grub-2.04/sbin/grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged... /gnu/store/xxx-grub-2.04/sbin/grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists. --- quote end --- And then I get a shell prompt again. My config.scm is: (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss)) (use-service-modules desktop xorg) (use-package-modules certs gnome) (operating-system (host-name "albert") (timezone "Europe/Paris") (locale "fr_FR.utf8") (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "fr")) (bootloader (bootloader-configuration (bootloader grub-bootloader) (target "/dev/sdf1") (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))) (file-systems (append (list (file-system (device (file-system-label "guix-root")) (mount-point "/") (type "btrfs")) (file-system (device (file-system-label "guix-boot")) (mount-point "/boot") (type "ext4"))) %base-file-systems)) (users (cons (user-account (name "david") (comment "David") (group "users") (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))) %base-user-accounts)) (packages (append (list nss-certs gvfs) %base-packages)) (services (append (list (service mate-desktop-service-type) (set-xorg-configuration (xorg-configuration (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))) %desktop-services)) (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)) I manually copied the file so there could be typos. Did I do something wrong in the partition/filesystem choices, in the installation procedure or in the config.scm? Thanks, David.