all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#71951: guix home reconfigure, no such file or directory
@ 2024-07-05 18:12 chris
From: chris @ 2024-07-05 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 71951; +Cc: chris

Today guix home reconfigure is not working on this system. Not sure how to troubleshoot or fix the issue.

```bash
guix home reconfigure guix.home.scm
guix home: error: failed to load 'guix.home.scm': そのようなファイルやディレクトリはありません÷
guix home reconfigure -L /home/bumble/software/guix-home/ guix.home.scm
guix home: error: failed to load 'guix.home.scm': そのようなファイルやディレクトリはありません
```

I have tried rolling back system and home configurations to previous (known working) versions, but home reconfigure never loads guix.home.scm and always shows the same "no such file or directory" message.

Yesterday guix home reconfigure was working normally and, when it was used, there were many GC object size warnings, however such messages have been a common part of the normal guix home reconfigure output for the last 6 to 12 months and so they are not a new development for me but sharing anyway in case they could be related.

Thanks in advance for any help

* bug#71951: guix home reconfigure, no such file or directory
@ 2024-07-06  1:57 ` Juliana Sims via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Juliana Sims via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-07-06  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris; +Cc: 71951

Hello,

Sorry for sending you two emails; I forgot I was supposed to CC the
specific bug address...

For posterity, here is the content of my original message:

Do you inherit any other configurations in your home configuration
which are defined in a different file? If so, have you made changes in
any of the files where those inherited configurations are defined? I
just had a similarly mysterious failure to load a (system)
configuration file, and it was because I hadn't properly imported a
module exposing a package I added. It seems these kinds of errors
aren't properly propagated.

If that isn't the issue, I'm of no further help ;)

Best,
Juli

* bug#71951: guix home reconfigure, no such file or directory
@ 2024-07-10 19:48   ` chris
From: chris @ 2024-07-10 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliana Sims; +Cc: 71951

On  7月05日 金, Juliana Sims wrote:
> Do you inherit any other configurations in your home configuration which are
> defined in a different file? If so, have you made changes in any of the
> files where those inherited configurations are defined? I just had a
> similarly mysterious failure to load a (system) configuration file, and it
> was because I hadn't properly imported a module exposing a package I added.
> It seems these kinds of errors aren't properly propagated.
>
> If that isn't the issue, I'm of no further help ;)
>
> Best,
> Juli

Juli,

Your suggestion is apt. Commenting-out a 'primitive-load' call from guix.home.scm, guix home recognizes and processes the file.

I tried using 'guile -the-primitive-loaded-file.scm' and, no errors appeared. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the issue, but with your suggestion it may become possible to fix guix home here,

Thank you,

Chris

* bug#71951: guix home reconfigure, no such file or directory
@ 2024-07-10 23:17   ` chris
From: chris @ 2024-07-10 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliana Sims; +Cc: 71951

On  7月05日 金, Juliana Sims wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [...]
>
> If that isn't the issue, I'm of no further help ;)
>
> Best,
> Juli

The issue is resolved and guix home reconfigure is again working. A runtime error occurs in the imported file and the reconfigure process fails in the strange way that it does.

* bug#71951: guix home reconfigure, no such file or directory
@ 2024-07-11 13:56     ` Juliana Sims via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Juliana Sims via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-07-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris; +Cc: 71951

Glad to hear it! Happy hacking :D

* bug#71951: guix home reconfigure, no such file or directory
@ 2024-07-11 14:00 ` Juliana Sims via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Juliana Sims via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-07-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 71951-done

Bug resolved