all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz>
To: Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>
Cc: "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Build timers
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:31:06 +0000	[thread overview]

> Your Pokémon analogy is extremely flawed.  The same CPU at a different clockrate does not perform the same task in the same amount of cycles [1, 2]. -- lily

The theory is that the measurements could be taken after X amount of time to adjust the DPS that the CPU does to the package to get the build time, See 'theory for real time measurements' in https://git.dotya.ml/guix.next/GUIX.next/issues/5

using the previous theory using the reproduction build with limited system resources to define the package complexity and to provide coordinates for XY plane this could each be define per variable that influences the build and then define the relation to determine the DPS which so far seem as the most accurate in my testing, but I am still experimenting with it

e.g:
Base damage: 1
- CPU at 1 Ghz -> Multiplier 0.24
- CPU at 2 Ghz -> Multiplier 0.31

But the current question should be: Do we want these timers implemented assuming that it can be done without overhead and in a cheap way? and if so how do we want to store and redistribute the logged data as those have a major impact on the calculation and methods used.

-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.