all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tor over VPN
@ 2019-06-11 20:27 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-11 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

1) How to use tor over vpn? That is, my system should connect to tor network via
vpn.
2) Should I enable both tor-service-type and openvpn-client-service?
3) Do tor and vpn operate on same level as per OSI model?

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Tor over VPN
@ 2019-06-12  2:26 ` oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-06-12  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: Help guix

I too wish to get an answer to this so it would be easy for somebody
non-technical to wrap their head around it. I'm currently doing open-vpn
as root from the desktop and then running tor after it and configuring
icecat afterwards to connect to TOR

On 11.06.2019 22:27, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> 1) How to use tor over vpn? That is, my system should connect to tor
> network via
> vpn.
> 2) Should I enable both tor-service-type and openvpn-client-service?
> 3) Do tor and vpn operate on same level as per OSI model?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> RG.

* Re: Tor over VPN
@ 2019-06-12  7:08   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-06-12  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, oury.dustin, Raghav Gururajan

Le 12 juin 2019 04:26:54 GMT+02:00, oury.dustin@posteo.net a écrit :
>I too wish to get an answer to this so it would be easy for somebody
>non-technical to wrap their head around it. I'm currently doing
>open-vpn
>as root from the desktop and then running tor after it and configuring
>icecat afterwards to connect to TOR
>
>On 11.06.2019 22:27, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> 1) How to use tor over vpn? That is, my system should connect to tor
>> network via
>> vpn.
>> 2) Should I enable both tor-service-type and openvpn-client-service?
>> 3) Do tor and vpn operate on same level as per OSI model?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Regards,
>> RG.

I think if you activate both services, it will work. Openvpn creates a new virtual network device that gets its own ip and network configuration. It's configured to go through your actual device via routes. Tor will simply try to communicate with another server on the internet. If openvpn has configured your computer to have a default route through the vpn, then tor connection will have no choice but to go through the vpn. Does it make sense?

You can check what your routes are with "ip r".

* Re: Tor over VPN
@ 2019-06-12 12:52     ` oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-06-12 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Help guix

Could you explain it with some code from a configuration file as an
example?

@ 2019-06-12 13:48   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-12 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oury.dustin; +Cc: Help guix

> I too wish to get an answer to this so it would be easy for somebody
> non-technical to wrap their head around it. I'm currently doing open-vpn
> as root from the desktop and then running tor after it and configuring
> icecat afterwards to connect to TOR

I see. Thanks for you insight. I am planning to run tor over vpn just by using
services and without installing any additional packages either in system or user
profile.

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Tor over VPN
@ 2019-06-12 13:58     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix, oury.dustin

> I think if you activate both services, it will work. Openvpn creates a new virtual network device that gets its own ip and network configuration. It's configured to go through your actual device via routes. Tor will simply try to communicate with another server on the internet. If openvpn has configured your computer to have a default route through the vpn, then tor connection will have no choice but to go through the vpn. Does it make sense?
>
> You can check what your routes are with "ip r".

Thanks. I thought of same. So, the vpn and tor operate in different levels as
per OSI model right? I think vpn works in a lower level than tor and that is why
the tor is forced to route via vpn?

Also, how should I configure my "openvpn-client-service" for this? All I have is
".ovpn" file from my vpn provider. Can you please guide with a code snippet?

Regards,
RG.