all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-02 12:57 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-06-02 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I just try (force-) rebuilding some package (python-scikit-learn), I do
not succeed:

- guix build … simply fetches the package from hydra
- guix build --no-substitutes … rebuilds an lot of other stuff , e.g.
fontforge-dist
- guix build --check … does not provide a meaningful build log
- guix build --check --log-file … does not provide a meaningful build
log either
  guix gc -d /gnu/store/*python-scikit-learn* does not change this

Any help?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-02 13:03 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-06-02 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just try (force-) rebuilding some package (python-scikit-learn), I do
> not succeed:
>
> - guix build … simply fetches the package from hydra
> - guix build --no-substitutes … rebuilds an lot of other stuff , e.g.
> fontforge-dist
> - guix build --check … does not provide a meaningful build log
> - guix build --check --log-file … does not provide a meaningful build
> log either
>   guix gc -d /gnu/store/*python-scikit-learn* does not change this
>
> Any help?

You are misundering many things about Guix here.  First, why do you
think you want to "force rebuild" something?  If you've made a change
to a build recipe, then that will naturally change the identity of the
build, thus getting a new build.  If you haven't changed the package
recipe, but want to build *just* that package from source for some
reason, you could try the following hack:

    guix environment --search-paths python-scikit-learn
    guix build --no-substitutes python-scikit-learn

The first command will fetch all the dependencies for the package,
taking advantage of substitutes.  The second command will then build
python-scikit-learn without substitutes, but it won't build anything
except python-scikit-learn because you just got all the necessary
dependencies with the prior command.  Finally, if the package build is
already present in the store, then you need to use the garbage
collector to remove it.

- Dave

* Re: How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-02 14:14   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-06-02 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: help-guix

Am 02.06.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Thompson, David:
> First, why do you think you want to "force rebuild" something?

E.g. to inspect the build log.

>     guix environment --search-paths python-scikit-learn
>     guix build --no-substitutes python-scikit-learn

Thanks, this does the trick. Cleaning the store for another rebuild
should not be the problem :-)

--

@ 2016-06-02 14:16     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-06-02 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:
> Am 02.06.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Thompson, David:
>> First, why do you think you want to "force rebuild" something?
>
> E.g. to inspect the build log.

See 'guix build --log-file'

- Dave

* Re: How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-02 14:30       ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-06-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: help-guix

Am 02.06.2016 um 16:16 schrieb Thompson, David:
> See 'guix build --log-file'

I did try this, bit it did not give me a logfile, since nothing was build.

--

@ 2016-06-02 15:26 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-06-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 02:57:42PM +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just try (force-) rebuilding some package (python-scikit-learn), I do
> not succeed:
>
> - guix build … simply fetches the package from hydra
> - guix build --no-substitutes … rebuilds an lot of other stuff , e.g.
> fontforge-dist
> - guix build --check … does not provide a meaningful build log
> - guix build --check --log-file … does not provide a meaningful build
> log either
>   guix gc -d /gnu/store/*python-scikit-learn* does not change this

In the past couple days, we took some changes from upstream Nix daemon
code (7f3b2510d) that change the way --check works.

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems that it will allow you to keep
build logs if you pass --keep-failed and if the build differs from the
previous iterations. If it does not differ, then it shouldn't matter :)

* Re: How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-02 21:08         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-02 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: help-guix

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> Am 02.06.2016 um 16:16 schrieb Thompson, David:
>> See 'guix build --log-file'
>
> I did try this, bit it did not give me a logfile, since nothing was build.

This commands returns a local build log, if available, or otherwise
looks for a build log on the substitute servers.

If the thing was never built anywhere, or if the log was removed from
the servers (that can happen for old builds), then no log files are
found.

HTH!
Ludo’.

* Re: How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-02 21:12 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> - guix build --check … does not provide a meaningful build log

Note that, when grafts are applicable to a package, ‘guix build
the-package’ builds the derivation that grafts the package, not the
derivation that builds the original package.

Similarly, ‘guix build --check the-package’ rebuilds the derivation that
grafts the package, not the derivation that builds the original package.

Instead, you may want to use ‘guix build --check --no-grafts
the-package’ to actually rebuild the original package.

Likewise for the build log of the original package: ‘guix build
--log-file --no-grafts the-package’.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: How to force rebuilding a pacakge?
@ 2016-06-03 14:43           ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-06-03 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Am 02.06.2016 um 23:08 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> If the thing was never built anywhere, or if the log was removed from
> the servers (that can happen for old builds), then no log files are
> found.

And what I experienced: If the package has been grafted, the log only
contains some "grafting" message.

--

@ 2016-06-03 14:49   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-06-03 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Am 02.06.2016 um 23:12 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Instead, you may want to use ‘guix build --check --no-grafts
> the-package’ to actually rebuild the original package.
>
> Likewise for the build log of the original package: ‘guix build
> --log-file --no-grafts the-package’.

Geat, this did the trick