all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Ben Woodcroft <woodibe@gmail.com>
To: Rob Syme <rob.syme@gmail.com>, "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Package ruby-ansi appears to be broken
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 22:25:56 +1000	[thread overview]

Hi Rob,

On 27/04/16 20:39, Rob Syme wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Running `guix environment --ad-hoc ruby-ansi` fails for me (and
> others). The package definition uses the ruby-build-system but fetches
> the tar.gz directly from github instead of from rubygems. I'll try and
> find time to have a closer look, but if Ricardo has any time, he might
> be able to debug it faster than me.

I think this the error is very similar to that described here, and
occurs during 'gem install'
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/1448

which is fixed in rubygems 2.5.2, but unfortunately ruby comes with
2.5.1. Today a new version of ruby was released, but sadly, still 2.5.1.
So, I think this means we will need to either incorporate the patch(es)
that fix this into the ruby package, or package rubygems alongside ruby
somehow. Or, since there is only a problem during build time, perhaps
clobber the gem from the ruby package with a rubygems package during
build time. Unless you have any better ideas?

Thanks for reporting this. I'm not sure we can blame Ricardo for this.
Rather, it is all my fault.
ben