all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Proposal: Adding unversioned aliases to python3 binaries
@ 2016-04-16 14:42 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-04-16 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I'm stepping into problems packaging python modules again and again
since Python 3.4 is not available  as `python`. Same for pip, and other
binaries in the python-3 package.

I propose
a) for python 3: adding symlinks from the unversioned binary name (e.b.
python) to the versioned
   ones (e.g. python3.4).
b) for python 2: adding symlinks from version binary names to unversion
ones -- for symmetry.

I'd appreciate if somebody more skilled in guix could implement this
(soon :-), so I could continue packaging stuff required for testing the
django framework.

Here is a list of required aliases for python 3:

easy_install-3.4 -> easy_install
idle -> idle3.4
pip -> pip3.4
pydoc -> pydoc3.4
python -> python3.4
python-config -> python3.4-config

And here for python 2:

2to3-2.7 -> 2to3*
idle2 -> idle
idle2.7 -> idle
pydoc2 -> pydoc
pydoc2.7 -> pydoc

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Proposal: Adding unversioned aliases to python3 binaries
@ 2016-04-16 16:15 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-04-16 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 04:42:15PM +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm stepping into problems packaging python modules again and again
> since Python 3.4 is not available  as `python`. Same for pip, and other
> binaries in the python-3 package.

Can you look at the 'python-wrapper' package and see if it would solve
this problem for you?

3.x such that they can be invoked under their usual name---e.g.,
`python' instead of `python3'."

* Re: Proposal: Adding unversioned aliases to python3 binaries
@ 2016-04-17 20:01   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-04-17 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Am 16.04.2016 um 18:15 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> Can you look at the 'python-wrapper' package and see if it would solve
> this problem for you?

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try it out and report. Will take few days
unfortunately.

--

@ 2016-04-21 18:59 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-04-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)