We'd have to check we actually can build them. The plan was to build menhir with this ocaml4.07, since it's required to generate the parser for ocaml >= 4.08, and improve camlboot to support more recent versions. We would prevent the need for a chain of bootstraps that way. Anyway, I'll push that after fixing your comments, and we'll see what we can do for the following ocaml versions. Thanks for the review! I don't think ocaml has so many dependants that it requires core-updates. Not even sure it needs staging. Le 3 mars 2021 08:27:54 GMT-05:00, zimoun a écrit : >Hi Julien, > >On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 00:13, Julien Lepiller >wrote: > >> The first patch builds the bootstraped ocamlc and ocamllex. This >takes >> around 4 hours to build. The second patch rebuilds them using the >source >> code for ocaml 4.07.1, instead of the modified sources used in >> camlboot, and reuse them to run the main Makefile (make world.opt). > >On my machine, camlboot takes ~3h to build. Then ocaml-4.07-boot takes >~30s. Last there is no meaningful difference between building >ocaml-4.07 using the embedded ocamlc and ocamlex binaries and using the >binaries from ocaml-4.04-boot; both ~6m. > >I have check that camlboot, ocaml-4.07-boot and ocaml-4.07 build >reproducibly with ’--check’. They do. > > >> As a result, we have identical files for this bootstrap and the >> unbootstrapped OCaml (up to output store paths and hash of some files >> that get embedded in native files, which differ because of the >> different output path). > >At first look, yes. :-) > > >Modulo the minor comments I made, patches LGTM! Thanks. > > >Well, the next steps are to build ocaml-4.09 and ocaml-4.11 using the >previous ocamlc and ocamlex version, right? > >Then, it implies rebuild all the OCaml packages, right? It could be >done in this core-updates cycle, WDYT? > >Cheers, >simon