all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cantarell font with the gnome desktop interface
@ 2022-08-15  3:22 Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2022-08-15  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

Hello,
Since I use a profile based on kernel 5.18, the cantarell font is not
available in the gnome desktop interface (gnome-tweak / fonts): the
cantarell font is not listed in the list of available interface fonts.
When I revert to a profile based on a 5.17 kernel, the cantarell font
is available in the gnome desktop interface (and selected by default).
What can I do to find the cantarell font with a profile based on kernel
5.18?
Thank you
Christophe

* Re: Cantarell font with the gnome desktop interface
@ 2022-08-15 14:15 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-08-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Pisteur; +Cc: help guix

Hello Christophe,

On Monday, August 15th, 2022 at 03:22, Christophe Pisteur <christophe.pisteur@fsfe.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> Since I use a profile based on kernel 5.18, the cantarell font is not
> available in the gnome desktop interface (gnome-tweak / fonts): the
> cantarell font is not listed in the list of available interface fonts.
> When I revert to a profile based on a 5.17 kernel, the cantarell font
> is available in the gnome desktop interface (and selected by default).
> What can I do to find the cantarell font with a profile based on kernel
> 5.18?

I checked in my system (guix system 3f17158, kernel 5.18.12), and saw the same: No font appears selected in GNOME Tweaks. That seems like a bug to me.

As a workaround, I did the following:

1. guix install font-abattis-cantarell
2. fc-cache -rv (see https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html#X11-Fonts)

Then, launch GNOME Tweaks again and cantarell should be selected.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Cantarell font with the gnome desktop interface
@ 2022-08-15 14:21   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-08-15 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Pisteur; +Cc: help guix

I forgot one step,

On Monday, August 15th, 2022 at 14:15, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I checked in my system (guix system 3f17158, kernel 5.18.12), and saw the same: No font appears selected in GNOME Tweaks. That seems like a bug to me.
>

> As a workaround, I did the following:
>

> 1. guix install font-abattis-cantarell
> 2. fc-cache -rv (see https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html#X11-Fonts)

3. Reload GNOME Shell (press Alt+F2, type the letter r in the command box, and press Enter)

After this, the boldish font in the shell should change.

@ 2022-08-15 14:49     ` Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2022-08-15 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help guix

Thanks a lot, it works perfectly!