all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Problems with GNU Parallel and ulimit
@ 2017-08-15  4:58 Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2017-08-15  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Sending response to the list this time...

> Arun Isaac <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Same here. Arun, can you give some more details about your system?
> >
> > This is probably a problem only on GuixSD systems. Could you try on
> > GuixSD instead of using Guix on a foreign distro?
>
> I tested it on GuixSD, works fine. Are you trying the command in a
> folder with > 1024 files perhaps? What does `ulimit -n` print?

The problem appears if you do not have 'perl' available in $PATH. GNU
parallel calls it recursively for a few tasks:

$ guix package -I | grep "perl"
$ echo $?
1
$ parallel echo ::: 1 2 3
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Error: No more processes: cannot run a single job. Something is wrong at 1.
$ guix environment --ad-hoc perl
[dev]$ parallel echo ::: 1 2 3
1
2
3

There is some path patching that goes on in the package recipe, but it
must have gone out of sync in latest versions.  The 'post-install-test'
phase wouldn't catch this particular error without '(setenv "PATH" "")'.

I wouldn't feel quite comfortable doing a "blind" update of the regex,
since some mentions of "perl" I think are meant to be executed by
remote hosts and so shouldn't be patched to absolute store references.

It might be useful to get Ole's opinion on this.

`~Eric

* Re: Problems with GNU Parallel and ulimit
@ 2017-08-15  4:41 ericbavier
From: ericbavier @ 2017-08-15  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2

@ 2017-08-14  2:31 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2017-08-14  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Does `parallel' work for anybody? When I run

$ ls | parallel echo

I get the following error message, and nothing happens.

parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 1.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Error: No more processes: cannot run a single job. Something is wrong at file-name.

Any idea about what's happening?