all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org>
To: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
Cc: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Guix supported-systems option
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 22:01:49 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Julien,

> I think you have multiple packages with the same name and version, but different supported systems. Am I right?

you are correct. I have multiple package definitions as shown in the attached scheme file.

The names and versions are exactly the same, just the origin differs and Guix picks "randomly" one of them.

I did as you suggested to rename the packages - append the arch. This works in short term but I'd like to have one profile and just apply it on my laptop (x86_64) as well as on Raspberry Pi (aarch64, recently added to Guix by Stefan).

Having different names will then not work or results in even bigger mess with if statements.

> Now, supported-systems does not mean "remove this package on other architectures", but rather "can't build this on other architectures". So it's perfectly possible that guix will arbitrarily select a package for a different architecture.

Well this is the reason I ask. I though this has deeper meaning as to tell Guix, okay you found a package with that name, but it's not for current architecture. So keep looking and if you don't find any other return this one with a warning that it's not supported.

So the "right" way would be conditionally select the right origin for the package and use just one package definition with list of supported systems, right?

----
Petr