all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inherit from a package
@ 2023-06-27 11:22 Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-06-27 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 597 bytes --]

Hello Guixers

I have a package with modified phases and use of the version identifier
(#$version) in various steps of the build process. Unfortunately when I
inherit from this package and change the source and version, the version
used in the new package is the same as from the inherited package. Is
this intended behavior or do I have to copy somehow the modified phases
over to the inherited package?

Hope the problem is clear and somebody can point me to a solution.

Cheers,
Reza

P.S. Do I have to use substitute-keyword-arguments in the inherited
package arguments?

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Inherit from a package
@ 2023-06-28  2:13 ` Bruno Victal
From: Bruno Victal @ 2023-06-28  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Reza,

On 2023-06-27 12:22, Reza Housseini wrote:
> Hello Guixers
>
> I have a package with modified phases and use of the version identifier (#$version) in various steps of the build process. Unfortunately when I inherit from this package and change the source and version, the version used in the new package is the same as from the inherited package. Is this intended behavior or do I have to copy somehow the modified phases over to the inherited package?

Indeed, this is a limitation of using (inherit) in packages.
You don't necessarily need to duplicate the phases you want to change,
personally I employed a procedure that returns a package object instead
and inherit from it, as can be seen at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63081#8>.

Perhaps you can draw some inspiration from that patch-series?

--
Furthermore, I consider that nonfree software must be eradicated.

Cheers,
Bruno.