On Mon, 2021-03-29 at 10:07 +0200, Leo Prikler wrote: > [...] > > In a similar manner, if I see an Emacs version upgrade at the start of > the transaction, I already know to prepare for a little environment > variable dance to get it to start correctly. I think there has been an > idea to update environment variables in GNOME Shell directly, for > instance, but > a. we're lacking the technology to do so at the moment (e.g. guile- > dbus) Actually, we do have dbus bindings for guile (actually, a reimplementation of dbus in (Guile) Scheme): guile-ac-d-bus. It doesn't support file descriptor passing (at least on Guile, other Schemes may differ) though, but that's probably not required for this. Greetings, Maxime.