all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fwd: Building Guile with ‘-j1’?
       [not found] <db7ce8199737fbfffaf562c6ecf152cd30d057a4.camel@student.tugraz.at>
@ 2021-01-20 10:46 ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-01-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Messed up ML address.

[-- Attachment #2: Weitergeleitete Nachricht – Building Guile with ‘-j1’? --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 931 bytes --]

From: Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at>
To: ludo@gnu.org
Cc: guix-devel@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: Building Guile with ‘-j1’?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 11:36:48 +0100

Hi Ludo,

IIUC this issue potentially affects all packages, that use Guile to
build more than two modules, no?

There could potentially be another workaround by synchronizing inside
guild, i.e. claiming a lock before reading and evaling any given source
file.  This would have the advantage of applying to all guile packages,
not just the ones that use guile-build-system, and it would also allow
non-Guile stuff, e.g. C extensions to be built in parallel.  WDYT?

Regards,
Leo

* Re: Fwd: Building Guile with ‘-j1’?
@ 2021-01-20 21:08   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2021-01-20 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler, guix-devel

Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> writes:

> There could potentially be another workaround by synchronizing inside
> guild, i.e. claiming a lock before reading and evaling any given source
> file.  This would have the advantage of applying to all guile packages,
> not just the ones that use guile-build-system, and it would also allow
> non-Guile stuff, e.g. C extensions to be built in parallel.  WDYT?

I don't think this would solve the problem, because it wouldn't ensure
that the Guile modules are compiled in a deterministic order, and
therefore the issue I raised in <https://bugs.gnu.org/20272#8> would
lead to nondeterministic results.

       Mark

* Re: Fwd: Building Guile with ‘-j1’?
@ 2021-01-20 22:25     ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-01-20 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver, guix-devel

Am Mittwoch, den 20.01.2021, 16:08 -0500 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
> Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> writes:
>
> > There could potentially be another workaround by synchronizing
> > inside
> > guild, i.e. claiming a lock before reading and evaling any given
> > source
> > file.  This would have the advantage of applying to all guile
> > packages,
> > not just the ones that use guile-build-system, and it would also
> > allow
> > non-Guile stuff, e.g. C extensions to be built in parallel.  WDYT?
>
> I don't think this would solve the problem, because it wouldn't
> ensure
> that the Guile modules are compiled in a deterministic order, and
> therefore the issue I raised in <https://bugs.gnu.org/20272#8> would
> lead to nondeterministic results.
>
>        Mark
Because the OS might choose to schedule the tasks in a different order
than spawned, e.g. compilation tasks 1-4 start "simultaneously and get
reordered 1, 3, 2, 4?  Indeed, that would be a problem.  I don't
suppose file-lock based queues exist, do they?