I said I would include Janneke but obviously I didn't :) . Sorry for the noise On 2/9/24 01:44, paul wrote: > > Hi Ludo', > > On 2/7/24 23:17, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >> Hi! >> >> Oops, my sincere apologies if I ended up “fixing” something that was in >> fact intentional, effectively breaking it. > Don't worry I think there's been a misunderstanding from the beginning > and I was not able to explain myself . Sh*t happens :) >> Should we just adjust the manual to match >> this? > I think that doing so would defeat the original purpose of supporting > the de facto standard used by Stow users >> Or the other way around, at the cost of breaking user config? > This is really about what one means by breaking, we already received a > bug report at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68848 which in my opinion > indicates that we give some expectations through the manual, which is > not met by the code (I'm adding Janneke to this thread so that we are > all aligned and can reach consensus). >> Or adding an option to choose between these two layouts? > This is the best option forward, in my opinion. It is flexible and > allows for a both for the current simplified layout (without the > per-application layer of directories typical of Stow) and the Stow > default one. > > If there's consensus my next steps would be: > > 1. Apply Janneke's stylistic suggestion at > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68857 allowing us to close > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68848 and align the code with the manual > > 2. Add a layout field to home-dotfiles-configuration that allows for > the simplified layout described by Ludo' in his last email, something > like this > > $ guix shell tree -- tree -a dot-files/ > dot-files/ > ├── .dico > ├── .gitconfig > ├── .gnupg > │   ├── dirmngr.conf > │   ├── gpa.conf > │   ├── gpg.conf > │   └── .gpg-v21-migrated > ├── .Xdefaults > └── .xsession > > the default would be the current layout but this would allow for more > flexibility in layouts in the future. > > 3. Possibly add an included-applications (the name is just a proposal) > to support Sergey's use case of selecting a subset of application > dotfiles to provision in the user's home > > what do you think about this plan? > > thank you all for your help and your time > > giacomo >