all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Newbie: How to see progress during 'build' phase?
@ 2023-03-28  0:38 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2023-03-28  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm downloading and building some heavy packages in Guix. Therefore, the
build phase usually takes more than 10 minutes. During that process, I
see the message a slash character that is rotating and the message
'build' phase. I wish I could see the progress of that phase?

Is it possible to show the progress or at least information of the build
phase? Is there a flag for the guix command that enables this behavior?

* Re: Newbie: How to see progress during 'build' phase?
@ 2023-03-28  5:26 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-03-28  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Rodrigo Morales

When the build process for the package outputs percentages, we can know what the progress is, and guix will show a progress bar. However, many packages do not show progress, so we just spin a dash for every line of log the process outputs. If you want to see the logs and het hypnotized by it, you can use -v2.

@ 2023-03-28  9:15 ` Martin Castillo
From: Martin Castillo @ 2023-03-28  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Am 28.03.23 um 02:38 schrieb Rodrigo Morales:
> I'm downloading and building some heavy packages in Guix. Therefore, the
> build phase usually takes more than 10 minutes. During that process, I
> see the message a slash character that is rotating and the message
> 'build' phase. I wish I could see the progress of that phase?
>
> Is it possible to show the progress or at least information of the build
> phase? Is there a flag for the guix command that enables this behavior?

I know about guix build -v3 to enable printing the build progress. There
might be other ways.

I don't know, whether one can enable it on the fly, after you already
invoked the guix command without -v3.

Martin