On 30-08-2022 11:27, muradm wrote: >> >> IIUC, everything using basu also works fine with elogind (*), so the >> 'status quo' of still using elogind (for old and new) seems harmless >> to me (except for size -- basu is smaller). > > I don't find the "everything using basu also works fine with elogind" > statement/assumption/guess correct, as per contents of elogind and > basu. See above comment for ifdef thingy. From the README.md of basu: > The sd-bus library, extracted from systemd. Agreed on th > > Some projects rely on the sd-bus library for DBus support. However not all > systems have systemd or elogind installed. This library provides just > sd-bus > (and the `busctl` utility). This does not look like basu adds additional functionality. > My intention is not to have something that is not used. Roughly, if > elogind is not used, why should I have it on my system. You should have it because the alternative (i.e., sometimes using basu and sometimes using elogind) increases disk space usage -- it's all internal, unless there's a bug you shouldn't notice it's using elogind instead of basu unless you're doing "guix edit" or such. > Basically, > > elogind provides: elogind, loginctl, busctl, libelogind (sd-bus, > sd-login ...) ... > basu provides: busctl, libbasu > > If basu is enought for package it should dependen on basu IMHO. > > So my reason is not directly-storage-only, but dependency which > impacts storage in some or another way. We have package outputs, we can separate the libelogind and busctl from the rest. elogind is used, just not in its entirety. > Btw, how much storage are we talking about when having some > packages depend on elogind and some on basu? Is it user > storage or build server/substitute storage concern? For basu and elogind itself: 0.9 MiB and 4.2 MiB For basu and elogind in total: 72.9 MiB and 172.8 MiB. (See: "guix size"). The latter numbers are a bit misleading, as one of the dependencies is 'shepherd' and 'libgc', which would be installed anyway by other software, and because elogind refers to pkg-config while it probably shouldn't. On "Is it user storage or build serve/substitute storage concern": yes. There isn't really a "user / substitute storage" distinction, unless you count baked nars. But that's just multiplying the storage by approx. 2 (ignoring deduplication). Greetings, Maxime.