all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: zloster <more@edno.moe>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>, Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: After installing Java, what should I set JAVA_HOME to?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 00:01:03 +0200	[thread overview]

On 28.11.2016 10:45, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I want Guix to be widely adopted, because I think it's a really cool piece
>> of software that deserves more support. To that end, I want to write about
>> how high switching costs "use Guix for everything" has, and how much I
>> think Guix adoption will be harmed by this advice.

Hi,

I've tried to describe what kind of problem mr. Kanfer is hitting here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-11/msg00035.html I've
also described a possible workaround.

I'll try to add some more explanation.

> That said, I had no problems *using* the Java toolchain for compiling
> Java code or for running pre-compiled code from third-party jars.

Here I'll try again to demonstrate the problem (the big screenshot
below). On the left I'm starting with installed packages:
guix package --list-installed
There is icedtea-3.1.0
I call `java -version` and everything is OK.
I call `which java` to get the location of java executable. It's in my
profile.
On the right I'm listing /lib/security/java.security file.
There is a line starting with `security.provider.9` and it tells the JVM
to go to ${java.home}/lib/security/nss.cfg for NSS configuration and
there is NO `nss.cfg` in the same directory. This is the problem.
The value of ${java.home} is `.home` which I believe doesn't exist (on
the right last lines).
On the right I also check the two directories in the store where
`nss.cfg` file exists. It is in two directories which contain the
JRE(Java Runtime Environment) portion of the JDK. Their
`jre/lib/security/java.security` files again contain
`security.provider.9=sun.security.pkcs11.SunPKCS11
${java.home}/lib/security/nss.cfg but in this case they have a `nss.cfg`
in the same directory and it is pointing to NSS installations in the store.

With this configuration `mvn` and the other tools that need to perform
cryptography operations will fail. My case was binary distribution of
Tomcat failing to start with similar exception about SSL. With the
described workaround I was able to start Tomcat.

My GuixSD