all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* License compliance when redistributing images built with 'guix system'.
@ 2024-05-23  0:09 Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli @ 2024-05-23  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli, Adrien 'neox' Bourmault,
	help-guix

The GPLv2 has this part:
> If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
> access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
> access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
> distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
> compelled to copy the source along with the object code.

So as I understand when redistributing packages (made with guix pack
for instance), 'guix build --sources=transitive
<packages [...]>' can be used to get all the corresponding source code
and publish it in 'the same place'. I could also distribute the Guix
source code being used and the build scripts along the way, and even
generate a package <-> license list with guix package --show just to be
sure (though the licenses are also in the source code).

But for redistributing complete images built with guix system image,
like a VM image for instance, I'm unsure how to do it and I was
wondering if there is a standard way to do that.

The following command seems to be able to tell me which packages were
used in the image:
> guix gc -R "$(guix system build system.scm)"
but then:
(1) I'm unsure if there are all the packages
(2) I need to parse the output and I'm unsure how to separate the
    package name from the version in a reliable way.

Another option could be to export my-os and use something like that in
a scm file that I'd then use 'guix build -L . --sources=transitive' on
after importing (gnu system) and (guix packages):
> (filter package? (operating-system-packages my-os))
but then here too I'm even more afraid of missing packages. The
downside is also that it filters out packages like `(,git "gui") so
using that in the image would not be possible and would need to be
heavily documented.

Denis.

* Re: License compliance when redistributing images built with 'guix system'.
@ 2024-07-17 17:26 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-07-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli,
	Adrien 'neox' Bourmault, help-guix

Hi Denis,

Well, I do not see any reply to this message.  So even very late. :-)

On Thu, 23 May 2024 at 02:09, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> wrote:

> The GPLv2 has this part:
>> If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
>> access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
>> access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
>> distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
>> compelled to copy the source along with the object code.
>
> So as I understand when redistributing packages (made with guix pack
> for instance), 'guix build --sources=transitive
> <packages [...]>' can be used to get all the corresponding source code
> and publish it in 'the same place'. I could also distribute the Guix
> source code being used and the build scripts along the way, and even
> generate a package <-> license list with guix package --show just to be
> sure (though the licenses are also in the source code).
>
> But for redistributing complete images built with guix system image,
> like a VM image for instance, I'm unsure how to do it and I was
> wondering if there is a standard way to do that.

Well, I am not sure to get if you speak about the source or about the
binary of this image?

In case you would like to get all the sources required by the system
image, well I am not aware of any easy way.

From your configuration file, you could extract the manifest file which
includes all the packages and based on that you could apply some
“sources=transitive” options.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: License compliance when redistributing images built with 'guix system'.
@ 2024-07-28 17:20   ` Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli @ 2024-07-28 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Adrien 'neox' Bourmault, help-guix

On Wed, 17 Jul 2024 19:26:22 +0200
Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Denis,
Hi,

> Well, I do not see any reply to this message.  So even very late. :-)
Thanks a lot.

> > But for redistributing complete images built with guix system image,
> > like a VM image for instance, I'm unsure how to do it and I was
> > wondering if there is a standard way to do that.
>
> Well, I am not sure to get if you speak about the source or about the
> binary of this image?
The use case is that if I distribute a bootable system image made with
Guix (like a VM image for instance), I'd like an easy way of complying
with all the free software licenses to avoid any legal risks.

Since the image contains many binaries I guess an easy way to comply with
licenses like the GPLv2 could be to provide like a tarball with inside
all the source code corresponding to the binaries inside the VM image.
If there is also extra source code (compilers, etc) it's probably not a
big issue.

As I understand it's easier for distributions like Guix or even more
classical distributions to comply because they typically provide source
code, packages and images from the same servers.

But as a user I'd like to avoid building everything myself, and I'd
like to redistribute some images I make without any legal risks.

> From your configuration file, you could extract the manifest file
> which includes all the packages and based on that you could apply some
> “sources=transitive” options.
Thanks. I think this could be a good option.

@ 2024-09-30 20:11   ` Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli @ 2024-09-30 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Adrien 'neox' Bourmault, help-guix