all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
To: David Lecompte <david.lecompte@metani.info>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Install Guix System in a logical volume
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:24:15 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 09:15:05PM +0000, David Lecompte wrote:
> Can I install Guix System with the whole root file system (including
> /boot) in a new logical volume that I create in the same volume group?

I shouldn’t answer in a hurry.  As of November 2021, the GNU Guix repo
contains a file gnu/tests/install.scm which contains a line

;; Since LVM support in guix currently doesn't allow root-on-LVM we use /home on LVM

In theory it would be possible though.

It seems the grub package in Guix supports LVM2 (you can see it in the
code when running `guix edit grub`).

So first you would need to adapt the grub.cfg of Guix System to insmod
lvm like Debian does and copy the search line from Debian’s grub.cfg.
That you would either do manually every time you run `guix system
reconfigure` to upgrade the system, or you would need to adapt the
grub bootloader script in Scheme.

Now you want to keep your old bootloader on your /boot partition and
chainload from it the Guix LVM root partition.  Is that possible?  I
don’t know.  This is getting too finicky.  Don’t do it.

Regards,
Florian