On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 10:59:46AM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote: > Just to be clear, these programs are able to find fonts you have > installed through Guix, right? They can find the font packages I install with Guix, but not the hard-coded PostScript fonts. > > The specific fonts in question are the URW fonts, aka the "PostScript > > fonts", provided by Debian's gsfonts and gsfonts-x11 packages. > > Are those the only affected fonts? I looked more closely, and Guix applications can no longer see *any* fonts from Debian. > > $ fc-cache -rv > > [...] > > > /home/leo/.local/share/fonts: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs > > /home/leo/.local/share/fonts: failed to write cache > > [...] > > > /home/leo/.fonts: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs > > /home/leo/.fonts: failed to write cache > > [...] > > > fc-cache: failed > > FWIW the new fc-cache fails for me on Guix System too if I create these > empty directories. Confirmed. fc-cache exited successfully when I removed those directories. > Can you inspect 'fc-list ' with the new and old fontconfig? Are there > differences? The only differences, after running `fc-cache -rfv`, are the differing store paths of the hard-coded gs-fonts package. Another thing I noticed is that I can do `fc-cache -rfv /usr/share/fonts && fc-list`, and the hundreds of fonts found in that directory are *not shown* in fc-list, but that's the same as on the master branch. So, I'm still not sure what the difference is.