Hi Brice, On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:34:03 +0000 Brice Waegeneire wrote: > First I was expecting the packages in `kernel-loadable-modules' to use > the > `kernel' field as their kernel input or to have a simple procedure to do > so. Otherwise you get a “Specified Linux kernel and Linux kernel modules > are not all of the same version”. It makes it more difficult that it > needs > to be to write composable configurations; IOW why would I want to use a > module built with a different kernel that the one I'm specifying in my > `operating-system'. Because packages are modular, changing the build system can only be done retroactively by a procedure. We could totally do that but it would make the kernel-loadable-modules field more magical and more difficult to debug. Also, I guess it would hard-code linux-module-build-system for those (right now you can use whatever build system you want). Do we want it anyway? > And last issue, we are missing a service to load module manually when > they > can't be auto-loaded as it's the case with `ddcci`[1]. I have managed to > solve this one by writing my first service > `load-kernel-modules-service'. > What can I improve before submitting it as a patch -- except the missing > documentation? I think that things should be described by nouns and actions should be described by verbs. So "load-kernel-modules-service" sounds really wrong to me. Maybe "kernel-module-loader-service"? Others don't care so much because Scheme kinda erodes the boundary anyway. Otherwise looks good to me. I guess it could be nice to be able to extend this service from other services using (service-extension load-kernel-modules-service-type '("module1" "module2")) or something.