On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 06:02:40PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > To me it’s not a bug in Guile, but simply the fact that regexps, as > implemented by the C library, are locale-dependent. > (use-modules (ice-9 regex)) (regexp-exec (make-regexp "^([a-z]+)$") "iyiyim") ⇒ #f Guile’s behavior that i is not among [a-z] has been confirmed as unexpected by a natively Turkish friend of mine. It is different from the behavior of current glibc: florian@florianmacbook ~$ cat iyiyim.c #include #include #include #define STR "iyiyım" int main (int argc, char** argv) { regex_t only_letters; int r = regcomp (&only_letters, "[a-z]+", REG_EXTENDED); if (r != 0) printf ("This error does not happen.\n"); r = regexec (&only_letters, STR, 1, malloc (sizeof (regmatch_t)), 0); if (r == 0) printf ("The string " STR " matched!\n"); else printf ("No match for " STR ".\n"); } florian@florianmacbook ~$ gcc -o iyiyim iyiyim.c florian@florianmacbook ~$ LANG=tr_TR.utf8 ./iyiyim The string iyiyım matched! Apparently Guile uses a bundled regular expression library rather than glibc. I can try making Guile use a newer GNUlib for its regular expressions, maybe that helps. Shall I file a separate bug for Guile? > The patch you proposed looks good to me, though perhaps we could > explicitly list all the alphabet in the regexp? > > A better option is to reimplement ‘store-path-package-name’ in a way > similar to ‘store-path-hash-part’, as in commit > 35eb77b09d957019b2437e7681bd88013d67d3cd. I suppose it would be better to cache the compiled regexp. What is this mcached syntax inside (guix store)? Or do I use Scheme’s 'delay' and 'force' for caching? The attached patch fixes the regexp. Shall I push the attached patch and then try making it cache the compiled regexp or do you still prefer an implementation without regexps? Why would not using a regexp be better? Regards, Florian