I'll start by saying I'm not a user of emacs or of emacs-telega. On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 10:43:51AM +0100, Diego Nicola Barbato wrote: > Hi Guix, > > Telega requires wide Emacs integers (62-bit), so it checks whether > `most-positive-fixnum' is equal to 2305843009213693951. Due to a > performance penalty [0] wide Emacs integers have to be explicitly > enabled on 32-bit architectures. Because of this `emacs-telega' > currently fails to build on armhf-linux and i686-linux. I assume it actually needs '--with-wide-ints' and that patching out the check wouldn't actually fix the problem. > The following two patches fix this by first adding a variant of > `emacs' with wide ints enabled and then using this `emacs-wide-int' > instead of `emacs' to build `emacs-telega' on 32-bit systems. > > I am not completely happy with this solution, because wide ints are > not required to build Telega but to run it: A user installing > `emacs-telega' alongside "vanilla" `emacs' on a 32-bit machine will be > greeted with cryptic parse errors when trying to run Telega. Would it > be enough to mention that `emacs-telega' has to be installed alongside > `emacs-wide-int' on 32-bit systems in the description? I don't like this plan so much. It means relying on the users to read the description which is something I normally only do when I don't know what package I'm looking for. > I have chosen this approach over building the regular Emacs package > with the "--with-wide-ints" flag because I do not think the > performance penalty is justified. What do others think? 10-30% performance penalty across the board in emacs is pretty severe for one package. Otherwise that would've been my suggestion. > In the long run it should be possible to drop this workaround once > Emacs 27, which introduces bignums, is released. With those Telega > should work on 32-bit Emacs without wide ints. Do we know how long it may be before Emacs 27 is out? If it's not that long I wonder if it'd be better for it to be unbuildable on 32-bit systems than to make it installable but unusable without changing other installed packages. > > Regards, > > Diego > > [0]: Emacs' configure.ac file talks about a 10% to 30% slowdown of the > Lisp interpreter and a larger memory footprint. Thank you for looking into this! -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted