On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:08:15AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Guix! > > Today is Guile 3 day, a day to celebrate, woohoo! \o/ > > How will Guix migrate to Guile 3? That’s a threefold process: > > 1. We must first migrate packages. I propose to rename “guile-next” > to “guile” today, such that “guix install guile” will now install > Guile 3 (no mass rebuild involved: the “default” Guile remains > 2.2.) > > The downside is that if you run “guix install guile guile-json”, > you’ll get Guile 3 with Guile-JSON for 2.2; instead, you have to > explicitly select “guile3.0-json”. I feel like these should move together. Imagine if we had python libraries that only worked with python2 but called them python-foo anyway. Having consistent naming between the packages is important. > > I propose renaming all the “guile3.0-” packages to “guile-”, and > all the “guile-” packages to “guile2.2-” as a second step, which > will address this issue. This could be done within a few days or > weeks. It seems to me we could switch the guile packages to guile3.0 and leave guix at guile2.2. In any case, we should create a guix-with-guile3 package to encourage people to try to fix bugs and try it out. > > 2. We must be able to run Guix itself on Guile 3. This is already > possible if you add “3.0” to the ‘GUILE_PKG’ invocation in > ‘configure.ac’, but there are still a few test failures that I’ve > been working on. Almost all of them relate to the use of ‘@@’ and > ‘mock’, which do not work with Guile 3 “declarative modules”. > > In many cases, it’s an opportunity to clean up our tests; see for > example 4aea90b1876179aab8d603a42533a6bdf97ccd3c and the preceding > commit. It should be possible to be done real soon! I'm going to miss '@@' > > Once we’re done, we can change (guix self) so that ‘guix pull’ > pulls Guix on Guile 3. > > 3. Change ‘default-guile’ to point to Guile 3 in ‘core-updates’, and > switch all the packages that consume .go files coming from > ‘with-imported-modules’ to Guile 3, in particular ‘shepherd’ and > ‘mcron’. > > Thoughts? > > You can celebrate Guile 3 day by helping out any of these! Let’s > synchronize here and on IRC! :-) > > Ludo.’ > -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted