all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shepherd as normal user
@ 2019-10-03 21:59 Hamzeh Nasajpour
From: Hamzeh Nasajpour @ 2019-10-03 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm going to run `shepherd` as a normal user automatically (at startup). How can I do that?

I know the `shepherd` will be run as root with PID=1 in the init system, but I have some services that should be run by `shepherd` for normal users.

Regards,
Hamzeh

* Re: shepherd as normal user
@ 2019-10-04  0:58 ` ison
From: ison @ 2019-10-04  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hamzeh Nasajpour; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019, Hamzeh Nasajpour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to run `shepherd` as a normal user automatically (at startup). How can I do that?
>
> I know the `shepherd` will be run as root with PID=1 in the init system, but I have some services that should be run by `shepherd` for normal users.
>
> Regards,
> Hamzeh

It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I could find, but there was a
simple example posted to this mailing list a while back that helped me:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00580.html

* Re: shepherd as normal user
@ 2019-10-04  8:30   ` Hamzeh Nasajpour
From: Hamzeh Nasajpour @ 2019-10-04  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ison; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for your reply.

It's a good example. But my main problem is running `shepherd` as normal user automatically.

For now, I've to run it manually.

@ 2019-10-04 15:19     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-10-04 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hamzeh Nasajpour; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Hamzeh Nasajpour <h.nasajpour@pantherx.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt.
4., Pén 10:31):

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> It's a good example. But my main problem is running `shepherd` as normal
> user automatically.

I believe you can add it to some shell startup files, or session startup
script. It depends on you environment.

> For now, I've to run it manually.
>

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, at 4:28 AM, ison wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 04, 2019, Hamzeh Nasajpour wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm going to run `shepherd` as a normal user automatically (at
> startup). How can I do that?
> > >
> > > I know the `shepherd` will be run as root with PID=1 in the init
> system, but I have some services that should be run by `shepherd` for
> normal users.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Hamzeh
> >
> > It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I could find, but there was a
> > simple example posted to this mailing list a while back that helped me:
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00580.html

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: shepherd as normal user
@ 2019-10-05  5:39       ` Hamzeh Nasajpour
From: Hamzeh Nasajpour @ 2019-10-05  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix

> I believe you can add it to some shell startup files, or session startup script. It depends on you environment.

I'm looking to find a way to configure the `shepherd` with `config.scm` (system reconfigure ...).
The startup script is a workaround but it has some problems, for example, multi-login/multi instance of shepherd and so on.

Do you have any idea?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, at 6:49 PM, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hamzeh Nasajpour <h.nasajpour@pantherx.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
> okt. 4., Pén 10:31):
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> >  It's a good example. But my main problem is running `shepherd` as
> normal user automatically.
> I believe you can add it to some shell startup files, or session
> startup script. It depends on you environment.
> >
> >  For now, I've to run it manually.
> >

> >  On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, at 4:28 AM, ison wrote:
> >  > On Fri, Oct 04, 2019, Hamzeh Nasajpour wrote:
> >  > > Hi,
> >  > >
> >  > > I'm going to run `shepherd` as a normal user automatically (at startup). How can I do that?
> >  > >
> >  > > I know the `shepherd` will be run as root with PID=1 in the init system, but I have some services that should be run by `shepherd` for normal users.
> >  > >
> >  > > Regards,
> >  > > Hamzeh
> >  >
> >  > It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I could find, but there was a
> >  > simple example posted to this mailing list a while back that helped me:
> >  > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00580.html
> >  >
> Best regards,
> g_bor

* Re: shepherd as normal user
@ 2019-10-05  7:37         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-10-05  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hamzeh Nasajpour; +Cc: help-guix

Hamzeh Nasajpour <h.nasajpour@pantherx.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt.
5., Szo 7:39):

> > I believe you can add it to some shell startup files, or session startup
> script. It depends on you environment.
>
> I'm looking to find a way to configure the `shepherd` with `config.scm`
> (system reconfigure ...).
> The startup script is a workaround but it has some problems, for example,
> multi-login/multi instance of shepherd and so on.
>
> Do you have any idea?

It is still a workaround, but for example for gpg-agent I right now simply
start a new instance that fails with a warning that it is already running.
I don't know if shepherd does the same thing, but it would be nice. If not
you could check for the existence of the socket manually before starting.
One way to get user configs in guix is using the guix-home-manager, but
that is experimental. It misses a lot of configuration modules, and takes a
very radical approach by making the home directory a guix profile.

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, at 6:49 PM, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hamzeh Nasajpour <h.nasajpour@pantherx.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
> > okt. 4., Pén 10:31):
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > >
> > >  It's a good example. But my main problem is running `shepherd` as
> > normal user automatically.
> > I believe you can add it to some shell startup files, or session
> > startup script. It depends on you environment.
> > >
> > >  For now, I've to run it manually.
> > >

> > >  On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, at 4:28 AM, ison wrote:
> > >  > On Fri, Oct 04, 2019, Hamzeh Nasajpour wrote:
> > >  > > Hi,
> > >  > >
> > >  > > I'm going to run `shepherd` as a normal user automatically (at
> startup). How can I do that?
> > >  > >
> > >  > > I know the `shepherd` will be run as root with PID=1 in the init
> system, but I have some services that should be run by `shepherd` for
> normal users.
> > >  > >
> > >  > > Regards,
> > >  > > Hamzeh
> > >  >
> > >  > It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I could find, but there
> was a
> > >  > simple example posted to this mailing list a while back that helped
> me:
> > >  > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00580.html
> > >  >
> > Best regards,