Hi Divan, On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 12:51:42 +0200 Divan Santana wrote: > ./pre-inst-env guix build emacs-exwm > Should I do this after updating a package? make check to check all tests > pass? In this case not really--since "make check" tests guix the package manager. You didn't change the package manager, so it wouldn't help. >Or rather the CI does that? The CI does that and then it also builds all the other packages, not just guix the package manager. > Secondly, how do I go about testing this package on my system (laptop > running guix) to see if the updated package actually works? ./pre-inst-env guix package -i emacs-exwm The package is then installed into your profile and you can just use it like any other packages installed in your profile. > I've done this in channels.scm > > (list > (channel > (name 'guix) > (url "https://gitlab.com/divansantana/guix/") > (branch "master"))) > > And then updated to my fork, though not sure if that is the best way. That would work as well--but sounds like a lot of work. It is nicer to do it your way if you want to *keep* your package across updates if it doesn't make it into the main repository. Otherwise I don't think your way gives you any advantage over just installing the package.