When plugging in a USB modem, i.e. a “surf stick” / internet stick with a SIM card for mobile broadband, setup should be as simple as WiFi. However, a few things are missing in Guix. First, the manual claims: -- Scheme Variable: modem-manager-service-type […] This service is part of ‘%desktop-services’ (*note Desktop Services::). But it is not part of %desktop-services. The first attached patch fixes this oversight. Now I can type this to get an internet connection: sudo nmcli connection add type gsm ifname ttyUSB1 apn internet However, I want to be able to do this setup graphically. I made a second patch to propagate iso-codes (for mobile broadband country selection) and mobile-broadband-provider-selection (for selecting defaults for providers) in nm-connection-editor (network-manager-applet) and gnome-control-center. Propagation is ugly though. Should I try patching network-manager-applet instead? I assume there are other packages doing such patching that I can imitate. Now I can configure the modem as Mobile Broadband in a graphical interface. I cannot do so in nmtui; I believe this modem setup feature is not included in nmtui. However, this is not the whole truth. Before I can configure anything, I have to run sudo ~/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -c ~/Downloads/usb-modeswitch-data-20170806/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:14fe -v 0x12d1 -p 0x14fe because my modem by default presents itself as a CD containing Windows drivers and not as a USB modem. Preferrably, usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data would be packaged (as a single package). I can try that later this week. Lastly, there are udev rules in usb-modeswitch, I believe, because on Debian I do not need to run any command; mode switching happens automatically when plugging in the USB modem. I suppose that means there should also be a usb-modeswitch-service-type extending udev? Regards, Florian