Hi Mathieu, On Sat, 04 May 2019 18:14:48 +0200 Mathieu Othacehe wrote: > Thanks for testing Florian. Based on Danny suggestion we could set > COLUMNS to 200 to have a more verbose backtrace (like guix itself). Good idea in principle. > Using higher values, the backtrace becomes really long and harder to > read. WDYT? When we have a designed error message, we present one--and, there, brevity is good. But backtraces are for developers only anyway, and are not designed error messages. So for backtraces I'm against throwing *anything* of the backtrace message away because we don't know what part of it is important (if we did, we'd print a designed error message instead--I'm all for doing that). I think this is something the default Guile setting gets wrong and I don't understand how it can be a good idea to suppress half of a message intended to simplify debugging for a developer "because it's too long". The length is nothing compared to the amount of text a developer has to type in order to reproduce the missing parts later on, if it's even possible. I'm even actually using core files (including attaching to them using a debugger in order to examine variable values), so I might be an outlier. So I'd be for either presenting the entire backtrace or suppressing the entire backtrace, not having teaser backtraces :)