Maybe I'm too paranoid but can we have "guix" in the file name "modules.name" somewhere? Otherwise I see it coming that upstream uses modules.name for an incompatible purpose and then we'd be with a guix interface that's broken and/or break their interface. (So much complexity for something so silly. Honestly, I feel like E-mailing the upstream author and telling him what I think. WTF :P) Should we warn when we use the fallback? I like the defensive programming but I feel we shouldn't have it *silently* fall back when the database is broken/missing. Otherwise LGTM! >(basename file ".ko") ^^^^^^ Nice. Where was that all my life. ;-)