On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:04:29AM +0200, Pierre Neidhardt wrote: > Efraim Flashner writes: > > > I haven't checked to see if my custom kernel works yet on my laptop, but > > compile time was 43 minutes on my kids' computer. Stock > > linux-libre@5.0.5 took 267 minutes. > > > > My custom kernel came in at 34MB, the stock kernel is 251MB. > > Great success! :) > > My attempts on my Xiaomi Air 13: > > - Stock build time: ~50 minutes. > - Custom kernel, starting from nothing: 5-10 minutes. > It works, but the mousepad and the sound are missing. I can't figure > which component is missing. Does anyone know if there is any reliable > way to know the kernel config I need for that? I think I used Gentoo's documentation from the handbook¹ and laboriously going through `lsmod` and grepping our kernel configs (I think) to figure out what they were called in the kernel. > > - Custom kernel, starting from Linux-libre and removing components: 40 > minutes. It works, but I don't understand why it's still so long to > build. I've removed almost all devices I didn't need from the "device > section", but this is clearly not the bottleneck. I started that way too, but I wasn't sure just how much I could take out. > > Cheers! > > -- > Pierre Neidhardt > https://ambrevar.xyz/ ¹ https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted