On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 12:13:55PM -0400, mikadoZero wrote: > I think the confusion around the pronunciation of GIF would probably be > a worst case scenario. Non-techies rarely discuss JPEGs or PNGs, while GIFs are a cultural phenomenon. How to pronounce 'GIF'? Anyone can weigh in, and it doesn't require any technical knowledge. After 30 years, GIF has come to mean 'a brief moving image on a computer'. It's a tremendous success! A harmless controversy can be endearing :) I can't think of a single downside for GIF. On the other hand, I think the most important property of a name is that it does not change. Google indexes written words, not pronunciation. A long tail of articles and discussion of Guix is extremely valuable.