all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building and installing packages with modifications
@ 2019-02-16 15:12 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-02-16 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix:

This is a question derived from my current trouble with running Guix on Android, as seen in: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-02/msg00151.html

Basically:
— I have Guix running on an armhf Android phone
— “guix pull” won't complete as it needs to build curl locally, since a substitute is unavailable
— curl local build fails on checking internet connection in one of its tests, as is common, as I found out on the web
— Thus “guix pull” never finishes, and I can't install any packages etc, since even without pulling a new version, they also fall into building curl

I'd like to overcome this, am not sufficiently advanced in Guix, so would like to receive ideas / tips on how to best / easiest do this.

Currently, I'm thinking of two options.

① Build curl locally, without the failing tests.
② Install an older substitute version of curl already built.

Ad ①:
— I've found there is an environment variable (INTERNET_TEST or something) you can set so the test is not run during auto build run. It's ignored if “guix build curl” is run with it.
— Can environment variables be passed to “guix build” so they are then honored during build?
— If not, can I instruct “guix build” to not run “make test”?
— If both not, can I then carry out the individual stages of a package build in Guix, so I can skip the test phase?
— If I build it in any of these ways, will “guix package -i curl” then install this version in the profile?
— If not, can I install it any other way then, so I can commence with “guix pull” without it being rebuilt?

Ad ②:
— Is there any way I can search the substitute servers for the latest built substitute of a package?
— How can I then install it?

If none of these, is there another way to overcome my problem?

Many thanks for any advice! :@)
--
白い熊