all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix-video repository, final 2 weeks of Outreachy intern
@ 2019-02-19  8:58 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-19  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Laura Lazzati

Hi Laura,

I'm pulling this again on guix-devel. We have only two weeks left in
this Outreachy round and Gábor and I decided to focus on two things:

1) Get the videos-repository filled up with the general tools and
Makefiles from your private repository.
2) Get as much as possible video-templates in, even if they are only
80% polished.
[3) Get the blog-post online.]

How does that sound to you?

For everybody: The guix-video repository is now created:

git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git

Though it is yet empty :-)

Concerning the repository:

0) I would prefer to have a linar history on master that is more or
less clean. What you could do is add the general scripts to the
'master', then create for each video a branch as Gábor suggested.

I would NOT MERGE them, but REBASE: If something on master changes, you
would rebase the video-branch on master (and force-push to the
repository). If that branch is more-or-less settled, you can finally do
an interactive rebase: 'git rebase -i master' if any commits can be
melted or cleaned up. Finally you can rebase master to that video-branch
and have a nice linear history. Rebase the other video-branches to your
new master.

As the development of the "general" part and the "video-specific" part
are in separate directories, there shouldn't be any merge conflicts.

1) In the end, in this guix-video repository there should be both the
general framework things (i.e. the Makefile, the script tool, the
general README, and maybe some other things). These should be generally
usable, nothing video-specific should be there.

Then there should be for each video a sub-directory, something like
this:

/videos/01-installation-from-script
/videos/02-daily-use-part1
/videos/02-daily-use-part2

2) Currently, I see that you adapt the Makefile for each video (taking
the wip-dailyUse branch as an example).

There you define the variables for the video in the Makefile:

########################## VARIABLES ###
LOCALE_LANG=en_US
NUMBER=
TARGET=videoNoCli
SESSION=
SOUNDNAME=
SLIDES=

As Ricardo pointed out around FOSDEM, it really would be better to have
the Makefile generic and then in each video's directory
a script that would set the variables and execute it.

For example:
videos/02-dailyuse-part1/make-en.sh

make -f ../Makefile LOCALE_LANG=en_US Target=videoNonCli ...

Would that make sense? Is this possible with little effort and few time left?

What help do you need, for example with the scripts/Makefiles?

Björn

* Re: guix-video repository, final 2 weeks of Outreachy intern
@ 2019-02-19 10:08 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-02-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

2019. febr. 19., K 9:58 dátummal Björn Höfling <
bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta:

> Hi Laura,
>
> I'm pulling this again on guix-devel. We have only two weeks left in
> this Outreachy round and Gábor and I decided to focus on two things:
>
> 1) Get the videos-repository filled up with the general tools and
> Makefiles from your private repository.
> 2) Get as much as possible video-templates in, even if they are only
> 80% polished.
> [3) Get the blog-post online.]
>
> How does that sound to you?
>
> For everybody: The guix-video repository is now created:
>
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git
>
> Though it is yet empty :-)
>
> Concerning the repository:
>
> 0) I would prefer to have a linar history on master that is more or
> less clean. What you could do is add the general scripts to the
> 'master', then create for each video a branch as Gábor suggested.
>
> I would NOT MERGE them, but REBASE: If something on master changes, you
> would rebase the video-branch on master (and force-push to the
> repository). If that branch is more-or-less settled, you can finally do
> an interactive rebase: 'git rebase -i master' if any commits can be
> melted or cleaned up. Finally you can rebase master to that video-branch
> and have a nice linear history. Rebase the other video-branches to your
> new master.
>
> As the development of the "general" part and the "video-specific" part
> are in separate directories, there shouldn't be any merge conflicts.
>
> 1) In the end, in this guix-video repository there should be both the
> general framework things (i.e. the Makefile, the script tool, the
> general README, and maybe some other things). These should be generally
> usable, nothing video-specific should be there.
>
> Then there should be for each video a sub-directory, something like
> this:
>
> /videos/01-installation-from-script
> /videos/02-daily-use-part1
> /videos/02-daily-use-part2
>
> 2) Currently, I see that you adapt the Makefile for each video (taking
> the wip-dailyUse branch as an example).
>
> There you define the variables for the video in the Makefile:
>
> ########################## VARIABLES ###
> LOCALE_LANG=en_US
> NUMBER=
> TARGET=videoNoCli
> SESSION=
> SOUNDNAME=
> SLIDES=
>
> As Ricardo pointed out around FOSDEM, it really would be better to have
> the Makefile generic and then in each video's directory
> a script that would set the variables and execute it.
>
> For example:
> videos/02-dailyuse-part1/make-en.sh
>
> make -f ../Makefile LOCALE_LANG=en_US Target=videoNonCli ...
>
> Would that make sense? Is this possible with little effort and few time
> left?
>
> What help do you need, for example with the scripts/Makefiles?
>
> Björn

I have also checked with the original project plan, and we are in quite
good standing if these are done.

Topics that are still missing are these:
Config on foreign distros - this could be quite modular, and like Björn
said, it could consist of showing a problem, then the resolution, then that
the problem disappeared using screenshots.
Guix system configs, we could show some tricks here, but it would be much
better to point to a collection of config samples, but we don't have that
yet, so I would delay or skip this.
Guix system installation, as the installer is in flux, and the latest
release tarball does not come with it, I would delay this.
Using the guix vm image: I remember that there are some issues here, for
example there is little space. This is not guix specific, so we can skip
it, maybe we should give some pointers to documentation on the website
instead.
Wdyt?

* Re: guix-video repository, final 2 weeks of Outreachy intern
@ 2019-02-19 12:38 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-19 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

> 1) Get the videos-repository filled up with the general tools and
> Makefiles from your private repository.
Sure! The only thing that worries me a little is not having the audios
and creating the video with silence. mp3s
> 2) Get as much as possible video-templates in, even if they are only
> 80% polished.
We already have the installation, the daily use, and I am finishing
the asking for help. The only thing  that I need is your approval for
the transcripts for creating the subtitles.
> [3) Get the blog-post online.]
I sent it for review to both of you :) It is already tested locally -
I should have asked for help when I got stuck and had some conflicts
with the website, for example -, except for adding the pictures.

> For everybody: The guix-video repository is now created:

> 0) I would prefer to have a linar history on master that is more or
> less clean. What you could do is add the general scripts to the
> 'master', then create for each video a branch as Gábor suggested.
Yes, I was trying to do so, but then my branches were improved
(specially the installation one), and since I never merged, now I have
branches from branches, but they kind of keep the same structure. Wil
ask for help before runining the repo, or at least try to polish my
private repo and then add it to guix-video.

> 1) In the end, in this guix-video repository there should be both the
> general framework things (i.e. the Makefile, the script tool, the
> general README, and maybe some other things). These should be generally
> usable, nothing video-specific should be there.
It is :) the only thing that changes in the Makefile is the default
video name so that i don't have to pass it a new variable. But then
they are common.

> /videos/01-installation-from-script
> /videos/02-daily-use-part1
> /videos/02-daily-use-part2
Each branch works like that, instead of the root path, of course, but
we have 1-installationFromScript, 2-dailyUse, and so on.
> Would that make sense? Is this possible with little effort and few time left?
Yes, sure. I feel bad about not having the narrators, but I could keep
creating videos after the internship ends as a contributor, and then
switch to contribute in other tasks - that's for other mail

> What help do you need, for example with the scripts/Makefiles?
If you could help me with the merging/rebasing part that would be
great, so that I focus on the videos. But not with everything. And
please answer "the transcipt is fine, create the subtitles for the
installation video" because they take time, they would be useful for
the narrator, and I won't be uploading my approximately silence audios
until I have the subtitles, to see if they match with the timing.  the
only thing that worries me is the lack of time. The rest, I can
somewhat figure out on my own and ask for help when needed. But I
promise I won't try to do everything on my own and get in touch
whenever I get stuck for more than one hour. But yes, since it is a
public repo, I guess that not making mistakes here is the best way you
could help me, like with the blog post.

And please, recall coordinating with Mark about the URL for the real
videos, since it will be mentioned in, for instance, the asking for
help one (https://audio-video.gnu.org/guix?/<installation-script-) and
so on.

@ 2019-02-19 12:45   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-19 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Gábor!

> I have also checked with the original project plan, and we are in quite good standing if these are done.
thank you :)

> Topics that are still missing are these:
> Config on foreign distros - this could be quite modular, and like Björn said, it could consist of showing a problem, then the resolution, then that the problem disappeared using screenshots.
Yes, I guess I sent it for discussion.
> Guix system configs, we could show some tricks here, but it would be much better to point to a collection of config samples, but we don't have that yet, so I would delay or skip this.
By this you mean how to configure GuixSD a regards your needs? Or am I
missing sth?
> Guix system installation, as the installer is in flux, and the latest release tarball does not come with it, I would delay this.
> Using the guix vm image: I remember that there are some issues here, for example there is little space. This is not guix specific, so we can skip it, maybe we should give some pointers to documentation on the website instead.
> Wdyt?
I got lost in which the following videos will be about :/ This week I
am planning to finish the help one - it is almost finished, my idea
was to send it yestertday, I apologize. The packaging ones split in
three videos. and let me know wihich ones are needed. Maybe we could
discuss that on Friday, I feel comfortable with having my topics from
one week to the other. And that gives you time to think what is mostly
needed now.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: guix-video repository, final 2 weeks of Outreachy intern
@ 2019-02-19 23:20   ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-19 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Laura,

I had the feeling that some of your answers sound a bit like a
justification. That was maybe because my tone was a bit too demanding?

I want to say that you did and still do good work with the videos and
you mastered several obstacles (including me :-)) and still are like
Gábor said in time. I just wanted to be sure to get nice productive
last two weeks and we agree on the "final spurt" :-)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 09:38:55 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > 1) Get the videos-repository filled up with the general tools and
> > Makefiles from your private repository.
> Sure! The only thing that worries me a little is not having the audios
> and creating the video with silence. mp3s

Let's start with the silence.

> > 2) Get as much as possible video-templates in, even if they are only
> > 80% polished.
> We already have the installation, the daily use, and I am finishing
> the asking for help. The only thing  that I need is your approval for
> the transcripts for creating the subtitles.

I will do my homework tomorrow morning :-)

> > [3) Get the blog-post online.]
> I sent it for review to both of you :) It is already tested locally -
> I should have asked for help when I got stuck and had some conflicts
> with the website, for example -, except for adding the pictures.

Same here :-)

[..]

> > What help do you need, for example with the scripts/Makefiles?
> If you could help me with the merging/rebasing part that would be
> great, so that I focus on the videos. But not with everything. And
> please answer "the transcipt is fine, create the subtitles for the
> installation video" because they take time, they would be useful for
> the narrator, and I won't be uploading my approximately silence audios
> until I have the subtitles, to see if they match with the timing.

OK, I will look at the merging/organizing of the scripts tomorrow.

> And please, recall coordinating with Mark about the URL for the real
> videos, since it will be mentioned in, for instance, the asking for
> help one (https://audio-video.gnu.org/guix?/<installation-script-) and
> so on.

OK.

@ 2019-02-20  2:59     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-20  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

> I had the feeling that some of your answers sound a bit like a
> justification. That was maybe because my tone was a bit too demanding?
No, in fact sth funny is that when we say sound, we are not using our
voice, we are just writing.
You are not demanding, I demand a lot to myself,  maybe my answers
looked like that because sometimes I answer too fast, and I had not
drank mate before ;) And  I know Outreachy's ways of evaluating
interns but I wanted to have tons of very nice videos, with the audio
and you should know how I am by now :P

> I want to say that you did and still do good work with the videos and
> you mastered several obstacles (including me :-))
hahahahha
> and still are like
> Gábor said in time. I just wanted to be sure to get nice productive
> last two weeks and we agree on the "final spurt" :-)
I agreed with your points, and hope to have fully productive videos,
even without sound, by the end of my internship :( - the sad face is
because of the end - then we can discuss in other threads about my
future contributions.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix-video repository, final 2 weeks of Outreachy intern
@ 2019-02-20  6:29       ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-20  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 23:59:04 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I had the feeling that some of your answers sound a bit like a
> > justification. That was maybe because my tone was a bit too
> > demanding?
> No, in fact sth funny is that when we say sound, we are not using our
> voice, we are just writing.

OK, then we agree :-)

I think I did all of my reviewing-homework and will now look at the
Makefile/repository.

> I agreed with your points, and hope to have fully productive videos,
> even without sound, by the end of my internship :( - the sad face is
> because of the end - then we can discuss in other threads about my
> future contributions.

Yes, I hope to see you around on guix-devel after the official end. :-)

@ 2019-02-21  7:22         ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 07:29:56 +0100
Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> wrote:

> I think I did all of my reviewing-homework and will now look at the
> Makefile/repository.

Just trying to rebuild the videos with the existing Makefiles/scripts
takes me longer than expected, I'm making progress only slowly. I will
go on looking into these, but maybe we should put the scripts not as
polished as I would like into the repository and later concentrate on
a Guile-solution?

@ 2019-02-21 10:21           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-02-21 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel