Hi Pierre, > From there, why wouldn't Guix do that automatically for use? In practise UEFI likes to fake a lot of stuff. It can happen that /sys/firmware/efi exists but the system cannot *boot* via EFI. Likewise, /sys/firmware/efi can vanish just because you booted from CD using UEFI's BIOS fallback. There are lots of other "fun" situations--and also lots of bugs in EFI implementations. grub-hybrid is better: It supports booting both via EFI and via BIOS. In order to support it we would have to partition somewhat like this: http://www.slivermetal.org/2016/09/18/how-to-create-an-hybrid-uefi-gpt-bios-gptmbr-boot-usb-disk/ In short: * Have both GPT and MBR partition tables, with the same entries. * Invoke grub-install twice: ** Once with --target=x86_64-efi and the vfat ESP partition as argument, ** Once with --target=i386-pc and the drive (or a partition, I guess) as argument Now it always boots. (Hybrid MBR/GPT are "dangerous" because they have to be updated in lock-step) Also, if we want to convert people from Windows or similar other operating systems, the user should have to explicitly confirm overwriting the bootloader. > Side question: I just tried installing GuixSD on a brandnew workstation > and the motherboard (Asus PRIME B450M-K) displays "UEFI" when I press F2 > on start. Now when I boot the Guix image, /sys/firmware/efi does not > exist, and indeed the Grub EFI installation fails (the BIOS one works). > I tried with another distribution, same thing. See?