On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:38:12AM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote: > We're now about a year out from the official EOL for python2 (Jan 1, > 2020). So far we've been not adding python2 variants of packages that > are new unless they're actually needed for something. Do we want to > start removing python2 packages when updating other packages if they are > leaf packages? This was previously discussed here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-06/msg00237.html That discussion didn't go very far. As you mentioned, the consensus seemed to be that we 1) relax the policy of always providing both Python 2 and 3 packages and 2) we'll act when we need to. My opinion is that we should remove Python 2 packages after the upstream EOL announcement if they are causing trouble somehow. But I don't think we need to remove them en masse. We offer many other packages that are basically abandoned upstream, so I think it will be okay to keep the Python 2 packages as long as there are no bugs or if they are maintained somehow.